Mac Mini Mid 2011 RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz mid 2011, ATV2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPod touch 4g, iPad 2 64gb, Airport Extreme +
Hi, it's my first post, I did a search on the forum but the search came back with nothing, I googled my issue but got conflicting answers.....

I bought a mid-2011 2.5 GHZ Mac Mini last week as an addition to my home theatre, I decided to buy an upgrade to the RAM from amazon but in my haste bought 2 x 4GB 1066 MHz sticks instead of 1333 MHz sticks, I would just like to know if it's ok to just use the sticks when they come or would I SEE the benefit of returning them and replacing with the 1333 MHz sticks??

I'm going to be using the Mini for xbmc, plex, iTunes etc.

Thanks in advance..

Stuart

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What's the return policy on the ram?

If you're still able to return the ram after installing it...then you could try installing the ram...and seeing if it will work (or even fit).

Personally I would return the ram (even though it's a pain in the butt)...and get the correct 1333MHz ram.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz mid 2011, ATV2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPod touch 4g, iPad 2 64gb, Airport Extreme +
I'm unsure what the official return policy is, it's my first purchase from Amazon so maybe someone more used to Amazon returns could enlighten me?? As for the RAM from what I've read there shouldn't be much difference with regards to speed only in certain resource hungry programs, don't know how true this is. I really want to use the RAM but at the same time I really want to get thing right, if someone can reassure me that it WOULD be fine to use with minimal difference then I probably would, if not then it's return to Amazon and buy the right one, I'm gutted I rushed into it lol.

Cheers tho Nick, appreciate the guidance...

Stuart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
personally, I'd return it and get the 1333 and avoid any potential problems returning unusable ram. it's the path of least resistance.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh well, cheers for that Mike and Nick, decision made, I've ordered the 1333 MHz sticks off Amazon, I'll return the 1066 sticks when they arrive! At least I wont be looking back and saying WHY? Lol

Thanks again

Stuart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone6s, Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iPad Pro
Mac Mini Ram question, regarding Apple's update

I was looking at the Mac Mini specs and it say that most is 8Gb that can be placed into it. Does anyone know when will Apple release a Mac Mini that can hold 16Gb?

Trying to decide if I should wait for the 16Gb mini or try to make do with the 8Gb.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's because the "official Apple position" is that your machine was designed and tested for 8 GB of memory and that's what they guaranty it for. However, the folks from Other World Computing and ifixit have determined (through independent testing) the machine can accept up to 16 GB of memory.

Be advised that if you do install 16 GB of memory and it doesn't work right or for some reason it blows up your machine (very unlikely) your warranty is void.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be advised that if you do install 16 GB of memory and it doesn't work right or for some reason it blows up your machine (very unlikely) your warranty is void.

The void warranty is the key piece I wanted to know. Has anyone done the upgrade to 16Gb without issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok So why doesn't Apple Store list 16GB as an option for the Mac Mini? I trying to follow whatever the Apple Store (using as official source) has listed as a memory option. The article is date 2011, but Apple Store still doesn't list 16Gb as a options. Is Apple that slow.

There are (and have been over the years)...many Mac models that actually have a higher max. ram than Apple claims. Even if Apple "officially" said that the Mac-Mini you're interested in could hold 16 gig...you wouldn't want to buy the ram from Apple...since in many cases Apple charges 2x-4x too much.

FYI...the Apple online Store is NOT the best place to get technical details about Apple computers. If you want details...go to Everymac.com.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input everyone.

I found the answers that I was looking for.

Also, EveryMac.com is fantastic and more than what I need, which means I have tons of new information to process. Thanks for informing me of the website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.