Extremely slow Internet on iMac, but ok on iPad

Reaction score
In the last week or so, Internet access on my iMac has got slower and slower, both using Safari and Google Chrome. Now, nothing completes loading - the blue stripe gets part way across the "address" but then gets stuck. This happens when connected to my router via Ethernet or AirPort or both. But Internet access works fine on my iPad and on my children's (Windows) laptops. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
could you reset the modem ? see how it works.

OP
R
Reaction score
I have turned off router and turned it back on again - it used to help a bit but now has no effect. Ditto turning the iMac off, leaving it overnight and turning back on (and router and iMac off and on together).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
which model year is your imac ? could you use ethernet cable link from router to your imac, see how it works.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks.

I bough the iMac in 2010.

I have been using same Ethernet cable since I bought the iMac.

Reaction score
I wish I could help, but I'm here bc I have the exact same problem. We bought our iMac 5 days ago. Internet has gotten slower and slower until now it's totally stuck. iPad and compaq laptop work fine. It's just the iMac. I've spent countless hours on the phone with apple support and they finally told me last night to return the iMac to best buy and exchange it for another one. Not sure if I want another one, this machine costs way to much to have so many problems so soon. :Angry:

Reaction score
Have you tried flushing your history, cleaning out cached sites, resetting the browsers to defaults, making sure you have the latest OS updates? This is where I would definitely start. If your ipad is working fine, sounds like you have a browser issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.