PowerMac and Quad owners ( post your spec and Picture of your PowerMac)

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a PowerMac G5 and I want to ask the owners of these computer's to tell me what there experiences in using a PowerMac for their daily use. If I do decide on getting a PowerMac, I want to know what upgrades are good for the PowerMac's and I want to know what everybody is putting in there computers, so I can get an idea in what I can customize my PowerMac when I order it. And also as you may know by know apple is putting intel's in there computers and the PowerMac are the last one's to be updated with the intel chip in 2007. I want to ask you, if you just recently bought the PowerMac do you regret on buying one even if you knew that the PowerMac with Intel are coming? Do you think Apple will continue to support and make binary software for the PowerPc once the Intel Computers come out or will thay just focus on the Intel Computers when the transition is over. I saved up 5,000 to buy a PowerMac and if I bought one today, I don't want to regret on buying a PowerPc instead of getting a Intel PowerMac. Is there really a big difference between a PowerPc and an Intel, the reason that I ask, I was just watching Steve Jobs recent Keynote address and he stunned everyone when he was using Tiger on a Intel platform, most people couldn't tell the difference, so basically it just ran faster right? I'm looking forward on seeing members PowerMac's and there experiences in using this great computer. And remember this is a friendly environment so please don't post anything that is harmful to other Members, remember we all are here to learn from one other, if your are a experience Mac users, please share your knowledge so for us that are inexperience in using a Mac can learn more about how to use a Apple. Thanks for everyone who's going to post here and let's have a good time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
OK, when I edited my post it got in here twice for some reason... please read on:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Welcome to the forums- I think you'll find this place is helpful:

SPECS:
OK, well I have the next-newest dual 2.3 Powermac, and you can see my basic specs on the left. When I ordered mine, I got the basic computer with stock memory (512 MB), a 250 GB hard drive, and the Radeon 9650. I also made sure it had airport, bluetooth, and a modem so I could have universal compatibility with internet and peripherals. Of course I got the "Superdrive" DVD burner too :)

UPGRADES:
Right away I bought 2 GB of RAM from crucial, because I like games and graphic-intensive apps. I also decided to upgrade the gfx card, and three months later bought a TV tuner card (Alchemy TV DVR) so I can watch/record TV on my 23" cinema display (which is AWESOME for watching DVDs, by the way.)

REGRETS:
Absolutely none! I love this computer even more than I thought I would. It's become the centerpiece of my home entertainment system, from hosting parties (airtunes and DVDs) to playing games, doing financial stuff, and communicating with the big, scary world outside my apartment. Well worth the $$$$$.

INTEL vs. PPC:
I suggest you read any or all of the threads on this forum about the subject. To sum it up, there is nothing wrong with PPC at all. IMHO, it is our differences from the wintel community that make us stronger. Intel is likely to have bugs when it first comes out, and yes, Apple WILL continue software support for the PPC over the next few years. They won't leave you hangin' if you buy a new powermac, fear not on that score!

My opinion is, you're ready to buy yourself a shiny new powermac from Apple- probably the dual-core 2.3, plus some primo upgrades. Don't be tempted by the quad-core; it willl require numerous expensive upgrades to properly harness its power (which is really for scientists and aerodynamic engineers anyhow.) I suggest crucial and newegg for memory/HD upgrades as they will save you money over Apple's pre-installed upgrades. I also prefer the 23" monitor- though it is more expensive, those extra 3 inches are worth it all the way!

I say "jump in with both feet", it's an easy platform to learn.

Good luck dude!

So as not to disturb with width of this thread, I have included a link to a picture of my computer below.

MY POWERMAC

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
34skyline said:
I was thinking about getting a PowerMac G5 and I want to ask the owners of these computer's to tell me what there experiences in using a PowerMac for their daily use.

My Twin G5 2Ghz PowerMac is the mainstay of my home network. It is the main repository for video and audio plus the work horse for editing such. I upgraded it to 4Gb RAM and installed a second SATA drive but apart from that it is stock.

I have two AMD 64 systems, one of which is running XP-64, yet neither are powerful enough to replace the PM as the digital hub of my network.

My plan is to wait until just before the first Intel powered PowerMacs are due to ship and then buy the top PPC machine (probably a quad 3Ghz system by then) because it will most likely remain the most powerful Mac available for a few years at least.

Amen-Moses

G

golfmore

This is a very interesting thread for me. I have been contemplating getting a MAC for a few years. I have been in PC land since 1984 (2 X 5.25 drives, etc.) I would like to look into this more, but in my profession, there is little or no support in the way of software. I'll keep checking.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
golfmore said:
.. but in my profession, there is little or no support in the way of software.

Such as?

Amen-Moses

B

bfx

Also find the info here interesting.

sevenhelmet - didn't those upgrades void the warranty?

Re the Quad - what Quad upgrades sre you referring to?

bfx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
bfx said:
Also find the info here interesting.

sevenhelmet - didn't those upgrades void the warranty?

bfx

Why would they? The PowerMac is the only machine Apple designed to be user-serviceable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
I have a G5 DP 2.0 GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM.

2 17" CRT Monitors.
Logitech z2300e 2.1 Speakers
Logitech MX500 Mouse
Crappy Printer
External HDD Enclosure.

B

bfx

to_tough_to_die said:
Why would they? The PowerMac is the only machine Apple designed to be user-serviceable.

Thanks.

Most companies void the warranty if the case seals have been broken.

Did notice Apple has a How To section for upgrading and trouble shooting on their web site.

bfx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
2.3ghz 2 gig ram got built in bluetooth wireless 20" monitor had it for 2 months.
This is my first mac and i love it the reason i got this was for the music creation and production Logic pro 7

logic.JPG

baseg5.JPG

go buy one you wont be dissapointed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
2.3ghz 2 gig ram got built in bluetooth wireless 20" monitor had it for 2 months.
This is my first mac and i love it the reason i got this was for the music creation and production Logic pro 7

Dudeeee..i fricking love that desk, it would be so perfect for me room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
do they do Ikea in Toronto?

if so u are in luck only £70

M

macdsyple

bfx said:
Thanks.

Most companies void the warranty if the case seals have been broken.

Did notice Apple has a How To section for upgrading and trouble shooting on their web site.

bfx

I got converted when I bought a pwer book G$ 15" a year ago and now wouldn't ever consider going back to a windows based pc.

I loved it so much that I just got a 2.5 ghz Quad a couple of weeks ago. The the Apple rep told me that upgrades such as RAM memory, hard drive additions, pci express cards don't violate the warranty. When I looked at the user manual that came in the box it actually gives specific DIY instructions for memory and hard drives.

I added 3 gigs of memory to the base 512 in literally two minutes. The cover is built to remove easily and the fan assemply is also made for simply slipping right out. I also added a 500 G maxtor to the second empty bay and it was unbelievable easy. They even incude guide screws in built in storage holes so you can put them into whichever hard drive you buy. when I turned it on, it gave me a message to initialize, took me to DiskUtility where I partitioned the drive and it is working great! Then to Top it off, I bought 2 24" Dell monitors and they both mirror and extended screen for a tremendous display capability. I was also very happy to find that the G% has two Giabit Ethernet ports. One I hooked to the Cable modem router and theother I use to synch with my Powerbook G4. Works great. I love Apple!

It runs so fast I can't beleive it. I tried stressing it to the max to no avail. I have an eyetv box that I record and convert video / movies with. At the same time, I can RIP a DVD, use DVD2Pod or isquint to convert movies for my ipod and use quicktime to play a movie. I thought something would surely slow down, skip or crash. Not so. The system monitor showed the CPU and RAM at less than full capacity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.