Graphic Designer, needs help choosing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 2.3ghz 8gb ram 750gb hd 2011 model Antiglare screen
So... I am a 3rd year Graphic Design major and I have recently landed a design internship for a fortune 50 company because most my family works and runs a local portion of the company. I have been using my 2.3ghz Quadcore i7 17" Macbook pro with 8gb ram and 750gb hard drive and antiglare screen for the design portion of my job. This is my only computer as of now and this is where the issue comes in. I can continue using the mbp and get a iMac 27 inch entry model or a canon dslr camera for school this year. Which would be the better option for me you guys think. Do you think having a second mac would benefit me more or would a dslr camera benefit me more as a designer. I love photography, but for the most part I do print design and I invest in stock images for my work so I am stuck in the twilight zone. HELP!!!

Reaction score
Hi there!

I think you have a nice computer there with lots of RAM & HD space. Unless you're going into audio or video (which it doesn't seem like that's your direction), I would definitely get the camera. IMHO it will help you a lot more than a minor upgrade to your computer.

Plus, if you learn some photography, then your Photoshop skills will improve because you'll be able to tinker around with RAW files as much as you'd like. Being in the design field for 10 years, I *wish* I had a really nice camera.

Just my $.02
Good luck!
- Julie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like you have a pretty nice MacBook Pro...thus you do not need the iMac.

It also sounds (according to your description) that you don't really NEED the camera either.

Now if you REALLY have some money burning a hole in your pocket...what you might benefit from (given your design student & internship activities)...is a nice large 24" external monitor to use with your MacBook Pro. This way you get a nice large monitor...and dual displays to work with.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like you have a pretty nice MacBook Pro...thus you do not need the iMac.

It also sounds (according to your description) that you don't really NEED the camera either.

Now if you REALLY have some money burning a hole in your pocket...what you might benefit from (given your design student & internship activities)...is a nice large 24" external monitor to use with your MacBook Pro. This way you get a nice large monitor...and dual displays to work with.:)

- Nick
+1 Exactly what I was thinking.

doug

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thanks guys for all the replies, I already have a Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch external so, I can check that off my list. I think I am going to purchase a dslr and a film slr, since photography is so important to me, and possible upgrade my macbook pro with an ssd and call it a day. Someone with experience in photography tell me if a Nikon fm10 is a good camera or not and the canon t3 with a 55 and 300mm stock lenses. The only photography I do professionally is portraits, such as senior pictures, engagement, and family portraits. As for my hoppy, I like to randomly take random angled pictures of everything, from glass, to metal, old cars in junk yards, and landscapes, and I go hiking a lot, so I love nature shots.

Thanks for the help

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...is a nice large 24" external monitor to use with your MacBook Pro. This way you get a nice large monitor...and dual displays to work with.:)

- Nick[/QUOTE]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.