Question about External Hard Drives

Reaction score
Hey all -

Is it possible for the external hard drive to self eject? I came home from work today, and I notice that time machine hasn't run since 3pm. And there was a error warning that I should properly eject the drive the next time. However, I would never remove the drive from the computer. Anyone here of anything like this?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Power line glitch maybe? Do you have an iMac? If so, you should be using an UPS. Any glitch or hit on the power line will eject an attached hard drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I do have an iMac, however, I do not think it is a power line glitch because it is not happening to the other external drive that is plugged into the same UPS. Any other suggestions.

Hwilensky

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, you're using an UPS. That's good. :) In that case, keep an eye on the drive to see if it happens again. It could have been a one time thing or even a self corrected drive error. I'm bit different about making Time Machine backups as I have the automatic backups turned off. I make my backups on a regular basis but do it manually. I keep the drive unmounted until I'm ready to back up. I also do a Carbon Copy Cloner backup at the same time to a different external hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.