Using AppZapper when apps are already deleted

A

Acala

Hi everyone,

I have recently found out about AppZapper (or other apps that more thoroughly remove apps), and I am interested in using it. The problem is that I have already deleted many apps, but it is likely that they have more files left behind that I won't be able to find. I want to eradicate these apps as well, but I've already trashed them. How should I go about doing this? Also, any general advice for deleting apps is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you have simply been dragging unwanted items to Trash.

Best ways are firstly use an unistaller if the application came with one, secondly via AppZapper or similar, there are several and lastly dragging to Trash.

The problem is once applications have been dragged to Trash, unless AppZapper etc. was up and running at the time, little it can do afterwards. You will need to go the Preference files looking for anything that has been left behind and manually remove them or get a program that cleans up unwanted files. Cleaning caches in Only may assist or a format and clean install:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3165218?start=0&tstart=0

OP
A

Acala

Thanks for the response! You are correct, I have just been dragging the applications to the trash. I am not sure I can do it very well manually, so do you have any recommendations for apps to clean up the useless files, like you mentioned? I read the link and saw they were talking about Onyx; I am not sure if that app is what I need or not. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Recommendation was for Onyx not Only lol!

OP
C

chas_m

If you've been dragging the items to the trash and they're not bothering you anymore, what's the problem?

Yes, they might have left behind an 32K preference file. So? It's inert, and taking up no appreciable space (you need to have tens of thousands of such files for it to even START to matter). Assuming you don't suffer from OCD, just let this one go and move on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.