Bought AppleCare days past warranty end - am I covered?

Reaction score
I was really busy with freelance work this week and kept getting the prompt down my screen that I had to force shut down my computer (MacBook Pro). A friend told me it was probably b/c the machine was getting too hot. This weekend, it happened several times and froze a bunch, too. I searched my email and found the email from Apple about AppleCare, clicked through, and purchase it (just in case). Then, hours later, my computer goes blue and won't turn on (no sound or screen action). I'm freaking but also so grateful that I had just bought the AppleCare! I noticed it says you have to register before you are covered, so when I signed in, sure enough it says I am passed my warranty date (by a matter of days).

Question: If I was able to purchase AppleCare via the link sent to my account, does that mean I HAVE AppleCare... even if it was a few days past the warranty? Or, is there a chance I'll get the box in the mail and not be able to register it?

I remember the last time I got AppleCare I did so a few days after the warranty end-date (can't remember why), so I know it's possible. Just want to know if my purchasing AppleCare equates to actually getting coverage. If so, I can breathe easy til I receive it tomorrow!

Thanks so much for the help.

OP
V
Reaction score
Link to product coverage

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately, that link is how I learned my machine was passed the warranty :/ I just want to know if the fact that I was still able to purchase the AppleCare means I am covered. Figured it might be the case, since it was just a matter of days beyond and the link still worked, but then I read other places there's no way to register it (?)

I'll fight for it if I have to but I'd rather just feel safe in knowing that purchasing AppleCare means having AppleCare, ya know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
May be you can get the apple care by getting an excuse that your mac is frozen, while trying to get the care and you cannot contact them on phone and you are too busy with fixing your mac cannot get out of the house.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately, that link is how I learned my machine was passed the warranty :/ I just want to know if the fact that I was still able to purchase the AppleCare means I am covered. Figured it might be the case, since it was just a matter of days beyond and the link still worked, but then I read other places there's no way to register it (?)

I'll fight for it if I have to but I'd rather just feel safe in knowing that purchasing AppleCare means having AppleCare, ya know?

You would probably do better just bringing the Mac and Applecare receipt in with you to the Apple Store. Being combative is far more likely to get you nowhere than being polite and reasonable.

OP
V
Reaction score
Ycl1688, I'm not looking to make excuses to get out of something - just want to be clear on whether I have coverage.

Yeah, I agree, Razormac. I've had good experiences w/Apple over the years. I don't expect a big problem. I just want to know if the fact that I was able to buy AppleCare yesterday means I have it. Does anyone know if that's so? It seems to me it would be but when I noticed I was technically days out of the warranty, I wondered. Just trying to confirm!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I believe that Apple would be well within their rights to refund your purchase of AppleCare and deny coverage.
I also, believe they may give you grace on missing the deadline and register your Mac on site since you have a receipt for purchase.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has been very strict about Apple care. If you were past your warranty date and purchased Apple care, they'll issue a refund. You can well understand why Apple would not honor it if past the warranty.

C

chas_m

You don't really make clear exactly when you purchased the AppleCare. If you bought it before the deadline and you can prove that with a receipt or email or something, then Apple may give you a pass on forgetting to register.

If you bought it somehow AFTER the one-year deadline passed, then Apple is well within their rights to refund you and deny coverage as others have stated.

Hope that answers your question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've had good experiences w/Apple over the years. I don't expect a big problem. I just want to know if the fact that I was able to buy AppleCare yesterday means I have it. Does anyone know if that's so? It seems to me it would be but when I noticed I was technically days out of the warranty, I wondered. Just trying to confirm!

Um, yeah. Confirm it with Apple. What you're essentially asking for here is a prediction from strangers. You need to go to the source.

OP
V
Reaction score
@toMACsh - I wasn't asking for a prediction, I was asking for a truth. If you were able to buy AppleCare online, does that mean you, indeed, have it. This is a yes/no answer based in fact.

OP
V
Reaction score
UPDATE: For everyone's reference (and for anyone else who comes across this thread with the same inquiry, I'm happy to say that Apple was very gracious in applying my AppleCare towards my issue. As previously noted, it was only six days passed the warranty's expiry date and the issue turned out to be a huge one - ended up with a new logic board, both RAMS were replaced, as well as the hard drive, the power button, monitor, and body casing. It was kind of a disaster, actually. They said the issue was a "kernel panic," and I have a feeling they weren't totally surprised by it. They were like, "using Adobe programs? 15" MacBook Pro? Yeah, kernel panic."

So, at the end of the day, I'd recommend to anyone who encounters a major breakdown of their hardware within two weeks or so past their warranty to speak to Apple before you write it off. Besides the strangely numerous 'technical difficulties' they had on their end while registering the coverage, the experience was actually pretty painless. +1 for Apple, I'd say.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
UPDATE: For everyone's reference (and for anyone else who comes across this thread with the same inquiry, I'm happy to say that Apple was very gracious in applying my AppleCare towards my issue. As previously noted, it was only six days passed the warranty's expiry date and the issue turned out to be a huge one - ended up with a new logic board, both RAMS were replaced, as well as the hard drive, the power button, monitor, and body casing. It was kind of a disaster, actually. They said the issue was a "kernel panic," and I have a feeling they weren't totally surprised by it. They were like, "using Adobe programs? 15" MacBook Pro? Yeah, kernel panic."

So, at the end of the day, I'd recommend to anyone who encounters a major breakdown of their hardware within two weeks or so past their warranty to speak to Apple before you write it off. Besides the strangely numerous 'technical difficulties' they had on their end while registering the coverage, the experience was actually pretty painless. +1 for Apple, I'd say.

Wow...congratulations...and good for you!!!:)

This was (sounded like) a pretty "sticky" situation (with all of the timing)...but great it all worked out.

Thanks a ton for the update...and another BIG +++ for Apple Customer Service!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Great! This affirms my earlier post. While you may have thought you were asking for "a truth" the point I was trying to make is that no one except Apple could give you a definitive answer. Therefore, anyone on this forum could only offer a prediction. There was more to the original question than you indicated in your response to my last post. I'm glad for you that they gave you the answer that they did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.