Old email address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06GHz intel core i3, OSX 10.7.5; iBook G3, pre steam! iPad 2; iPhone 5
I am about to change broadband suppliers and will have a new email address; naturally I shall tell everyone I know of the new address............but how do I get the messages from people who still send to the old address? Or are they lost in the ether for ever?
Please help an old dog to learn some new tricks! Grandad

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Just because you change broadband suppliers, doesn't mean they will delete your email. You should still be able to access it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This is one of the advantages to web-based e-mail. Or rather, one of the disadvantages to not having web-based e-mail. With a web-based address, you can change your ISP as often as you want and it won't affect your e-mail address.

I would say that once your old supplier disconnects your account, anything sent there will bounce back to the sender, and he/she will know something's up.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Absolutely. If the email address is not changed, then it's business as usual.

If, for whatever reason, it does change, then you can access your old email address & messages in this way:

Say for example, as you are in the UK, you are presently with BT/Yahoo and your email address is: [email protected].

With your new ISP, go on to the web using whatever browser you use (e.g. Safari); use Google to find the exact log in for BT/Yahoo (or whatever you currently have) - (for BT it is: https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=uk&.partner=bt-1&.done=http://bt.yahoo.com/?).

This will give you access to the BT(or other) website where you enter your username and password to access your emails. Read them, and if you want to, reply from this site telling them of your new email address.

Hope that makes sense!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If your ISP has kept your email account open, then Mail should still be able to download your mail as normal. My daughter cancelled her Virgin internet over two years ago, but has still been able to use her virgin.net email. However, Virgin contacted her recently to say that they are clearing out all old email accounts soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Certainly works different in Australia. Change your ISP and your old email accounts are hit on the head the day after.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.