External HD Question/help

Reaction score
Hello all,
Only the 2nd time on here. My gf has an Apple laptop and desktop now. I bought an external HD for it to watch the downloaded movies from on the tv. We d/l them from Vuze, transfer to the HD and then plug the HD into the samsung tv.

Now this is the question. How do I format the HD for an Apple? Our friend had to format it for us last time but he has since moved to FL and we live in PA. Was wondering if there is a way I can do it myself. The previous HD which is now broken, could not be recognized when plugged into the laptop. My gf unplugged it from the tv before turning the tv off or properly ejecting it.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and all should be good using Disk Utility via the Applications>Utilities

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
ok. I haven't gotten one yet. I wanted to check b4 I did. Any particular one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The G-Drive series by Hitachi is also a Mac ready drive. They come pre formatted for OS X. A little pricey though, but they have a 3 year warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.