queer connectivity queries......

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just upgraded to a Mac Book Pro, I also have loads files on a Lacie LaCinema 2TB external hard drive and have discovered that I need to take all my files off it then re-format it to MS-DOS so that it's readable by both Windows 7 and Lion OSX (i think!)

Can someone advise me what the best connectivity option, i.e. fastest, is available to me as I am not au fait with firewire, thunderbolt etc.

The lacie has the following output/inputs:

1 x USB - Rear,
1 x - Rear HDMI
1 x Composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear,
1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) - Rear,
1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) - Side,
1 x SPDIF output - Rear,
1 x ( RJ-45 ) - Rear

And I have a Mac Book Pro 2012 upgraded to 8GB RAM.

Many Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need another hard drive to copy the files to before formatting the drive to FAT-32 (MS DOS). Make sure the second drive is of a large enough capacity to hold all the files to be transferred. You have no choice for the fastest file transfer since USB is really all your LaCie has.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm resgined to waiting a long while for the files to be switched over to another, interim external hard drive. So, if I format it to FAT32 it will be readable AND writeable by Win7 and Lion OSX? From my little bit of research I've got my reservations about the compatability but I may have been looking at an old forum post... Hence the question about Win7/Lion.

If all else fails is it straightforward to partition an external hard-drive in Lion OSX for MAC and PC?

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.