Making the switch.

X

xp_be_gone

Just ordered my first mac! Choose the iMac G5! should be arriving tueday!

Really excited i have wanted a mac for ages! Plus getting the black 5G iPod for christmas to go with it. Just have a few questions though!

1) Thinking of gettin the elgato eyetv but does it work well?? can i transfer my recordings to my new iPod? Will i need to use a roof-top aerial or will the included one be suitable?

2) Will my word documents work without microsoft office?? i have some pretty important documents i need.

Thanks

Ethan!

Reaction score
You can get Microsoft Office for OS X!!! but there are other office apps you can get that can read Office formats.

OP
T

Tiranis

You can either: a) use Microsoft Office for OS X, b) use iWork (or rather Pages), for me and all of my friends the import worked well enough - of course it can't do all the things that Word can, but it can do some other things Word can't, or c) use free alternative like OpenOffice, NeoOffice, or something like that. For a) and b) there are free trials available, they will be located in your iMac's Applications folder (IIRC).

Anyway, congrats on your purchase!

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
NeoOffice is your friend,
I hope you have a broadband connection or you will be downloading for awhile though...

Congrats on the switch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 1.33 512ram 60gb Superdrive Apple bluetooth mouse
welcome

Welcome to the world of Mac. I am also on my first one. I have had it for about a year and have found it to be truly MAHHVELOUSSS. The office suite apps listed on the above posts work really well and are quite compatible with Office. At work I am forced to use a windows box and use OpenOffice. On my Mac I use NeoOffice. You should also look into other open source software when you get your new machine. Browsers such as Camino (Aqua interface) and Firefox (very flexible and customizable) along with software such as Gimp ( similar to Photoshop) are free and show that there is finally some real consideration for our beloved OSX. I have no experience with EyeTV but I would expect to see more in the way of TV and video streaming and downloads in the very near future. I believe Apple will help create and groom this new generation of content delivery with the same grace and ease of use that they provide in all their current hardware, software,interfaces and content. :yinyang:

OP
L

lil

Hi there,

I have used some of the Elgato prodeucts where I used to work, the main one we sold was the Elgato Eye TV 410, firewire box, with satellite/cable subscription card slot, cable/satellite input, digital receiver and fuctionality akin to a Tivo box or Sky+.

The only thing you had to have was a good television reception; otherwise the quality would suffer as you would expect. Otherwise I found that it worked really well, and with Macs now coming as standard 256MB, you won't suffer any memory problems which were sometimes encountered.

Vicky

OP
X

xp_be_gone

Got it!
Just got my new iMaca and im in love!! ITS AMAZING!! I love Mac OS X , i found it really easy to pick up and everything is so simple!! I am so glad i made the switch and would reccomend the world to MACS!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.