Wireless connection awful

Reaction score
Guy's
I have a major problem with my wireless internet stability. it droops out every 5 minutes or so and takes 2 - 3 minutes to come back. I need to find out what is going on but don't know where to start. Can anyone help please?

I have the following setup

Sky broadband with sagem router (wireless disabled)
Airport Extreme with wireless enabled and connected via Lan to the above
Airport Express down stairs. the other items being on the first floor
Imac 27" - OSX Lion up to date
Macbook - OSX lion

I get wireless signal at full strength all through the house but the internet connection is shocking.

can someone advise me where to start?

cheers
Daz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi, have you reset any of the equipment yet?

Have you moved the Extreme or put any metal objects nearby to it which may be causing signal degradation?

Can you find out if any of your neighbours have their wireless routers set to the same channel (download the free app iStumbler or similar to check this and also your Signal to Noise Ratio) ?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, have you reset any of the equipment yet?

Have you moved the Extreme or put any metal objects nearby to it which may be causing signal degradation?

Can you find out if any of your neighbours have their wireless routers set to the same channel (download the free app iStumbler or similar to check this and also your Signal to Noise Ratio) ?

Thanks

looks like all of my channels are ok. They are all on different channels to the surrounding network and sit on a signal of 70% average with a noise of 9%

is that ok?

cheers so far
Daz

OP
D
Reaction score
Start here:

Wireless Networking FAQ | Mac-Forums Blog

And let us know how you make out!

Thanks
Gone through every step and cannot improve on my current situation. i have tried each point though.

I don't actually lose wireless connection just the internet within the wireless by the looks of it. Is there an app to monitor the stability of the wireless and the hosted internet.

My connect seams steady on my iMac with is connected by Lan to the extreme.

what can i do next?

cheers
daz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you have way too many things going on.

Try the following:
1. turn off everything.
2. start from the wall and work out, so turn on the modem first
3. Turn on the MacBook, delete all references to any wireless connection - start from scratch.
4. configure the modem/router and wifi and see if you get a connection.
5a. If you do, and you maintain connection, then the issue is with your setup and overkill of wifi.
5b. If you don't, replace the modem/router and just get a modem, not a combo device.
6. Once you stabilize the connections, start adding things back in. One at a time.

*This may mean you reset all devices back to factory settings and resetting them up, but keep it simple at first.

I seriously recommend just getting a new Modem, not a combo device, and using the AirPort Extreme as the router.

I never recommend using a Modem/Router, always use separate devices, usually if there is an issue with one piece, they both have problems. It is easier to troubleshoot when you have different devices.

Unless you have 3 floors and some huge amount of space from one side of your house to another, or your floors are full of lead, you really dont need all those devices. I have my Airport Extreme hooked up to my cable modem. it is centrally located on the first floor of my house, which is over 3800 sq. feet. I have full signal on both floors from one corner to the other.

OP
D
Reaction score

Try the following:
1. turn off everything.
3. Turn on the MacBook, delete all references to any wireless connection - start from scratch.
5a. If you do, and you maintain connection, then the issue is with your setup and overkill of wifi.
5b. If you don't, replace the modem/router and just get a modem, not a combo device.
6. Once you stabilize the connections, start adding things back in. One at a time.

*This may mean you reset all devices back to factory settings and resetting them up, but keep it simple at first.

I seriously recommend just getting a new Modem, not a combo device, and using the AirPort Extreme as the router.

I never recommend using a Modem/Router, always use separate devices, usually if there is an issue with one piece, they both have problems. It is easier to troubleshoot when you have different devices.

Unless you have 3 floors and some huge amount of space from one side of your house to another, or your floors are full of lead, you really dont need all those devices. I have my Airport Extreme hooked up to my cable modem. it is centrally located on the first floor of my house, which is over 3800 sq. feet. I have full signal on both floors from one corner to the other.

Thats useful - Thanks

I have the wireless disabled from the Sky wireless modem and just us it as the latter. Are you suggesting that i need to replace this with a modem only? If so what one do i get? I.e will it be sky compatible.

Happy to get rid of the express to be honest if it is not adding value. Can i run broadband straight into my extreme or do i have to use my sky router first?

Cheers for your help

Daz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Thats useful - Thanks

I have the wireless disabled from the Sky wireless modem and just us it as the latter. Are you suggesting that i need to replace this with a modem only? If so what one do i get? I.e will it be sky compatible.

Happy to get rid of the express to be honest if it is not adding value. Can i run broadband straight into my extreme or do i have to use my sky router first?

Cheers for your help

Daz

I would contact your provider (Sky) and talk to them about a Modem Only device. they may even supply one. they would need to configure the new modem to work with their service and your router (Airport Extreme).

There has to be a modem between the wall and the Airport Extreme. The airport Extreme is a great router, it is what I use. I have an Airport Express attached to my stereo and use it as an Airplay device. You can also attach the airport Express to a USB printer and turn it into a network printer. It works great for that as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Try the following:
1. turn off everything.

There may be some signal attenuation in free space (normally a 6dB reduction for every doubling of distance away from the source) but what really matters is what is physically in the OP's space between the router and the equipment. Full signal might appear as 5 bars on the icon but the SNR could be garbage.

The combination device is the default offer from ISP's such as Sky, Virgin,BT etc but invariably they are single band because they are cheap OEM equipment. I have had no problems at all with a combination device, and certainly not with a dual band 2.4gHz/5gHz one set to automatic with the iMac forced onto the 5gHz band and the rest of my equipment opting onto the 2.4gHz band.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

looks like all of my channels are ok. They are all on different channels to the surrounding network and sit on a signal of 70% average with a noise of 9%

is that ok?

cheers so far
Daz

The figures are percentages of theoretical maximums.
Go iStumbler>Edit>Inspector>Samples Tab and note the Signal and Noise dBm figures and subtract the one from the other e.g. -61dBm Signal minus -96dBm Noise = 35dBm SNR which is very good.

> 40dB SNR = Excellent signal (5 bars); always associated; lightening fast.

25dB to 40dB SNR = Very good signal (3 - 4 bars); always associated; very fast.

15dB to 25dB SNR = Low signal (2 bars); always associated; usually fast.

10dB - 15dB SNR = very low signal (1 bar); mostly associated; mostly slow.

5dB to 10dB SNR = no signal; not associated; no go.

That should tell you whether your wireless reception is up to scratch.

Try also connecting your iMac to the 5gHz band on the Extreme.

OP
D
Reaction score
The figures are percentages of theoretical maximums.
Go iStumbler>Edit>Inspector>Samples Tab and note the Signal and Noise dBm figures and subtract the one from the other e.g. -61dBm Signal minus -96dBm Noise = 35dBm SNR which is very good.

> 40dB SNR = Excellent signal (5 bars); always associated; lightening fast.

25dB to 40dB SNR = Very good signal (3 - 4 bars); always associated; very fast.

15dB to 25dB SNR = Low signal (2 bars); always associated; usually fast.

10dB - 15dB SNR = very low signal (1 bar); mostly associated; mostly slow.

5dB to 10dB SNR = no signal; not associated; no go.

That should tell you whether your wireless reception is up to scratch.

Try also connecting your iMac to the 5gHz band on the Extreme.

Perfect - My signal according to the list above is always above the 40 range.

I have disconnected the express as suggested above. Likewise i have restarted as suggested and worked from source backwards.

On the istumble i notice that i have 2 guest accounts with the same name. I can't find out how to delete them. I have tried unchecking the create guest account but it removes both of them and doesn't leave one active.

any ideas?

I have also activated the 5GHZ account and things do seem a little stabler although i am keen to get the guest account sorted. I all carry on testing tonight but appreciate your ongoing help

cheers
Daz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect - My signal according to the list above is always above the 40 range.

I have disconnected the express as suggested above. Likewise i have restarted as suggested and worked from source backwards.

On the istumble i notice that i have 2 guest accounts with the same name. I can't find out how to delete them. I have tried unchecking the create guest account but it removes both of them and doesn't leave one active.

any ideas?

I have also activated the 5GHZ account and things do seem a little stabler although i am keen to get the guest account sorted. I all carry on testing tonight but appreciate your ongoing help

cheers
Daz

Ok, with SNR looking good then and things settled on the 5gHz band then I would consider disabling guest accounts for the time being or even resetting your Extreme or Restoring it to factory settings and adding a guest network back in over time.

Good link here for fine tuning:
Can you control the bandwidth of the guest network? - Apple Store for Business (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A couple of things . . .

That I don't think have been mentioned:

1. Is it your internet connection that's dropping out (i.e. the Sky router dropping the ADSL sync)? or is it your wifi connection dropping out?
You can connect by cable temporarily to establish this. There are also connection logs on the router.

2. Is your Airport extreme in bridge mode? If not, you have the Sky Router and the Extreme both trying to act as DCHP servers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.