CPU runs very hot on 2010 MBP, constantly freezes.

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm having a bit of an issue with my new MacBook Pro.

About a week ago I received a hand-me-down (Mid 2010) 15 inch MacBook Pro from a family friend, and was told it was in very good condition and ran everything flawlessly. For the first several days it was fine, and I used it mostly for watching videos and surfing the web. However, today on two separate occasions the CPU has reached over 185 degrees and caused the immediate freezing and subsequent manual shutdown. Both times this was caused by playing a simple browser flash game on Kongregate.
I have never had this problem with any other Macbook Pro I've owned, and if it can't handle something so simple as an in-browser flash game I have no idea how it's going to be able to handle Photoshop CS5 or Finalcut Pro. I understand 2010 isn't exactly cutting edge but I feel like it should perform better than my last ones (2006 and 2008, respectively).
What are the reasons this could be happening, and what can be done to help?

OP
H
Reaction score
Just happened again twice this morning, not sure what's causing this. It's slightly warm/slow now and all it's running is facebook and this site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have a full read of the thread.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/194862-official-my-macbook-air-pro-overheating-what-do-i-do-guide.html

In short Apple have implemented a fail safe for any Mac that over heats to protect the precious insides. IMO a "simple game of flash" isn't simple, as flash will use a lot a cpu therefore increase temperatures.

The hand me down looks like a lemon and the family friend prob knew if they sold it to someone paying cash that they would be on there door step in quick time asking for a refund bc of these problems..

You can try taking the back and giving it a good clean out with a can of compressed air (being extra super careful), clean out the vents and around the fan.

Also though in this case i really wouldn't recommend it, but you could dl Download smcFanControl for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make them run cooler. MacUpdate.com to up the fans, but if its shutting down there is a reason and you need to find that reason.

OR take it into Apple and have them look at it. It will cost but you saved $ on a "hand me down" anyways ;)

HTH a bit. Post back if you need more guidance.

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks!

I actually found the problem, it turns out that installing Lion turned off the fans and graphics card and I had to re-install software to get those up and running again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks!

I actually found the problem, it turns out that installing Lion turned off the fans and graphics card and I had to re-install software to get those up and running again.

Care to expand on this ??

I have the 13inch from that era and a install of Lion did nothing of the sort.
Curious more than anything

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.