application question when reinstalling OS

B

boplicity

Hi,

I'm planning on reinstalling my system software and upgrading to 10.4 (currently running 10.3.9).

I don't have easy access to my Adobe suite and was wondering if I could just drag the application folders to my external hard drive and then drag them back afterwards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Miles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why don't you just upgrade? Then you'll retain all your apps, files & settings.

OP
B

boplicity

Aptmunich said:
Why don't you just upgrade? Then you'll retain all your apps, files & settings.

Well, I was thinking I could reinstall everything to "clean up" the hard drive. Is that silly? I know it was pretty effective on my Windows laptop. When it started running a bit slow I'd reinstall the discs back to the same setup as when I purchased the laptop. It seemed to wipe out anything that was slowing things down.

I recently bought an external harddrive as my Powerbook's 40gig harddrive was about maxxed out. I have noticed that the book is running a lot slower lately. I thought pulling my mp3s and jpegs and whatnot off the PB and onto the ext drive along with reinstalling the OS would be a big help.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
boplicity said:
Well, I was thinking I could reinstall everything to "clean up" the hard drive. Is that silly?
yes it is silly...
boplicity said:
I know it was pretty effective on my Windows laptop. .........
Thoughts?
Stop right there.......I do have a thought...hehe. Yes, that IS a silly thing to think, seeing that you are not using Windows here.
There is no real need to do the constant "clean up" that you used to do with Windows anymore. You are using a Mac. There is absolutely no need to continually reinstall your OS.

The hardest thing about moving to Mac is that you absolutely HAVE to forget about 99.878425 % of what you used to do. This is not Windows, so simply forget about how you used to do things, and what you used to do with Windows. Once you are able to do that, you'll be fine!!

:back:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Another possibility would be an Archive & Install.
That way, you keep all your applications, user settings etc. but will get a clean new system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.