removing apps/root user on lion 10.7.4

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here, and I'm sure not my last. I've just made the transition from PC to MAC and purchased a second hand Mac Book Pro.

Now the main problem I am having is that a lot of the apps incumbent on the hard disk are from the previous user (I have removed as much as I can) but now, when I try to remove some of the applications I am having difficulties due to permissions. Now I have tried repairing the permissions in Disk Utility and through CCleaner but to no avail.

Next I tried to restore the Mac to it's original settings by rebooting via the install DVD but this hasn't worked either because the OSX is lion and the one on the disk is snow leopard.

Even though there is some good software and games on this other persons Mac, ideally I want to make it my own and start with a clean slate. I've bought this mainly to use with pro tools and I have bought the software with the preamp box too; other software I already have.

So please, can someone advise me how to keep lion and completely reset my Mac to it's original settings with me as the root user?

Thanks,

Ben.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forums

You need to boot into the recovery partition holding down command-R when restarting and selecting the Recovery Partiton, presuming Lion was the OS originally on the Mac.
Then you need to select Disk Utility from the installer window, wipe the HD and then re-install the OS.

Pretty easy and its all prompted for you.

HTH

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.