Help installing Snow Leopard on Early 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Reaction score
Is it hard to install Snow Leopard on my Early 2008 Macbook Pro model? Its the one with a silver keyboard. Are there any issues that I must address before installing this?

My model is the Early 2008 Macbook Pro its 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (the silver keyboard).

Last time I was going to install this I heard there was an issue with rebooting the system where it has a black screen and you had to use a flashlight to see how to do stuff. Could some one explain how I should go about upgrading my Leopard 10.5.8 into the new Snow Leopard. I bought the CD couple years ago so thats how Im going to install the file. I also read some stuff about setting the audio video etc stuff on terminal before you install Snow Leopard. How does that work? What im really looking for is a guide to do it for an Early 2008 Macbook Pro. Thanks in advanced.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what you heard or where you heard it from, but the upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard should go well. Just make sure that you have a good backup before doing the upgrade. Use cloning software to make a bootable backup as that's the safest way. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper is what I recommend. Time Machine does not create a bootable backup but can be used instead of cloning software.

OP
R
Reaction score
I don't know what you heard or where you heard it from, but the upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard should go well. Just make sure that you have a good backup before doing the upgrade. Use cloning software to make a bootable backup as that's the safest way. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper is what I recommend. Time Machine does not create a bootable backup but can be used instead of cloning software.

Well I remember that happening back in 2009-2010. But I have backed up my system in time machine. So time machine's back up doesnt create a bootable backup? But using a cloning software will create a bootable back up? by bootable back up you mean that if all else fails and it doesnt work i can connect the external HDD and it will go bak to my old settings before I did the clean install? Thanks sorry still a beginner lol.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, that's correct. A bootable backup to an external drive is preferred because if something goes wrong with the update, you can always boot from the external drive and clone it back to your original drive and then start over. A good safety net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You could, if you wish, install Snow Leopard onto your cloned backup first. Have a play with it, do a Software Update to bring it to the latest SL version, update any 3rd party apps, etc, all the while having your computer to revert to if you come across a problem.

Then, when you're happy, just clone the external drive back to your MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.