Programs and music running off my external hard drive keep freezing and unfreezing

Reaction score
So I installled a 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III Gbps as the main drive and replaced my superdrive with a 750GB 7200RPM hard drive for extra storage. I also have a 8GB DDR3 memory. All is great but I seemed to notice that any programs running off of my external storage device (music - itunes and Call of Duty modern warfare 4 etc) keeps freezing. Sometimes it unfreezes and starts playing the music or game again but sometimes it takes a little while for it to unfreeeze. E.g. when I play music it randomly stops and then then starts playing again. Its really annoying as I can never get a smooth playtime with either games or listening to music. Also when it's stopped, if I click on the itunes the rainbow whirling icon pops up.
Anybody have any advice??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about some specs for your Mac? You stated external drive, but are you referring to the 750 GB drive you added in the superdrive bay or another external drive? Because, running graphic intensive games from an external drive is not recommended. Even if the drive is attached via FW800 some games will still lag.

OP
A
Reaction score
The basic specs are 2.2 GHz, i7 quad core processor, DMI 5 GT/s, running the latest Lion OS X 10.7.4 with a AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB graphics card.

Oh I see. Okay well gaming I can understand, but what about my itunes and music?

Thanks so much!:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Oh I see. Okay well gaming I can understand, but what about my itunes and music?

Running the iTunes library (and playing music) from an external drive should be OK. There may be something else going on if you're getting lag when playing music.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I can suggest is to run verify and repair from Disk Utility to see if there are any errors on the drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
When I verified the disk it said "Mactintosh HD 2 seems to be okay" but when I tried to repair it the message "Couldn't unmount disk" popped up. What exactly does that mean?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you were running Disk Utility from the disk you were verifying, it has to be unmounted first in order to repair it. The easiest way to do that is to use your recovery boot DVD to boot the machine and do the repairs from Disk Utility located on the DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.