HELP!! Mac crashed and now Excel file is corrupt

Reaction score
Hello all,

I do apologize but desperate times calls for desperate measures.

I was working on a Microsoft Excel file on office 2008.

What ended up happening was that my macbook ended up overheating and shutting down as I was doing the finishing touches. I waited some time to turn the macbook back on and noticed that my file was gone. The only way I can see my file is if I open up Excel and click on "open recent".

But then the pop up message says "Excel cannot open this file"

"The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format"

Please if there is anyone out there who can save me it would be a HUGE help!!

Basically my job is on the line for this.

THANK YOU ALL WHO READ THIS MESSAGE!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum. Not a community suggestion or feedback.

Did you have "Always Make a Backup" turned on in the Office 2008 preferences, "Save" tab? If you did, you have a backup of the file in the specified location where the backup files go. If not, the changes you made to your Excel file are gone for good. They were in memory while the MacBook was on, but that memory is flushed when the machine turns off.

Since the file has been damaged because the machine crashed, you can try to recover it by following these Microsoft Instructions. Note these are for Windows Office but they work the same way for the Mac version of Excel. Give it a try:

LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.