External stoped reading

Reaction score
i have an external harddrive with 1tb of data onit and it and it comes up saying i need to format and that it can not be read, is there a way of recovering my data?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on what's wrong with the drive. If the drive can be "seen" and accessed by software, then the answer is yes.

The best recovery software in my opinion is Data Rescue 3 by Prosoft. It's $99 for a license so you might wish to download a trial copy first to see if it works for you.

Also, sometimes the drive enclosure electronics may fail but the drive and data are still good. It may be possible to remove the drive from its original enclosure and place it in a new one (USB) and recover the data that way. Of course that voids your warranty, so it might be a last resort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.