I tunes

Reaction score
I'm a working musician. I use I tunes to store my music library. I depend on this library for research and to prepare for gigs. I've been attempting to move to a new I Mac on Lepard. I can't seem to find anyway to transfer these files. Is there something I can read to learn how to do this? I've been attempting to use a Firewire cable and migration assistant, but it's not working. The thought of shoving hundreds of cds into the new Imac seems a terrible waste of time. Any clues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Migration Assistant should work. If not copy your Home Folder>Music>iTunes folder to an external drive and then to your new iMac.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Migration Assistant should work. If not copy your Home Folder>Music>iTunes folder to an external drive and then to your new iMac.

Thanx for you reply. Much apprciated!

I did a time machine backup on an external drive. Got a bunch of folders and apps but not the photos and music files and photos I need.

All my music and photos are in Itunes a Photo. How do I get them out of these applications in order to move them onto an external hd? I was hoping that my playlist in Itunes could remain intact. That's the way I have them organized

C

chas_m

For iTunes: iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

iPhoto: you simply copy (that's COPY not MOVE) the entire iPhoto Library to the desired destination.

Next, double-click on the iPhoto library in the new location. iPhoto will open and use this library as the new default one (you can double-check that you're using the "right" one by checking preferences).

Then you can delete the "old" one, but BE AWARE that if you try to open iPhoto when the external drive si not mounted, iPhoto will create a new BLANK library in the usual location (user/pictures). Then you'll have to re-point it to the external one.

C

chas_m

I'm really not understanding exactly what you want to do, I guess.

First you said you want to move your stuff from one machine to another. Migration Assistant would have done that for you perfectly. (You never gave us any details on why that didn't work for you, it's INCREDIBLY rare for MA not to do this job perfectly so I'm frankly wondering how you managed to muck that up)

Migration Assistant kicks in when you first turn on the new machine. It is part of the "first bootup" routine. If you bypassed it at the time, why not just start over? If the goal is to move your stuff from one machine to another, the best way to do that correctly is to do it the way Apple designed it to be done: at first bootup. Doing it after you've set up your own account and started putting new crap on it complicates things unnecessarily.

Once that has happened successfully, then you should refer to my previous post, which teaches people how to move iTunes libraries and iPhoto libraries to external drive. It's really pretty simple ... just follow the on-screen directions for Migration Assistant and THEN move the libraries to an external using the instructions in my previous post.

I think you're "overthinking" the whole thing, really.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I'm really not understanding exactly what you want to do, I guess.

First you said you want to move your stuff from one machine to another. Migration Assistant would have done that for you perfectly. (You never gave us any details on why that didn't work for you, it's INCREDIBLY rare for MA not to do this job perfectly so I'm frankly wondering how you managed to muck that up)

I guess I mucked it up because I expected the Mac OS to give some hints what to do. I wiped the new Mac's HD and installed a new system. I'm just trying to move some files to the new computer. It's not working.

Migration Assistant kicks in when you first turn on the new machine. It is part of the "first bootup" routine. If you bypassed it at the time, why not just start over?

What do you mean "kicks in?" What would staring over include? Now I've got multiple files with the same file names on the new Mac. Why would the OS allow that? I've got tons of clip art mixed in with my photos. It would take endless hours to separate them

I'm a computer user. I just need to get work done, messing with these automated programs is wasting way too much time. I expect a program like Migration Assistant to be an automatic way to transfer files, specially since I'm working between two Macs on the same version of OSX. I'm very disappointed in these computers. For the first time after owning 5 Macs I'm considering moving to the other system.

If the goal is to move your stuff from one machine to another, the best way to do that correctly is to do it the way Apple designed it to be done: at first bootup. Doing it after you've set up your own account and started putting new crap on it complicates things unnecessarily.

I would love to do it the way Apple designed it. But the system gives no clue on how to proceed. That is exactly what I would expect from an Apple computer...to be user friendly.

Once that has happened successfully, then you should refer to my previous post, which teaches people how to move iTunes libraries and iPhoto libraries to external drive. It's really pretty simple ... just follow the on-screen directions for Migration Assistant and THEN move the libraries to an external using the instructions in my previous post.

I think you're "overthinking" the whole thing, really.

I probably am overthinking this. But I'd rather not think about this at all. I've got work to do.

Can you help me understand one thing? Why is Help no help at all?

Is there any where I can get a step by step guide on how to do this?

C

chas_m

The reason there's no guide is because the guide is on-screen when you start up a new Mac for the first time. I'm not sure how you managed to bypass that.

By "start over" I'm suggesting you reset the new Mac to factory specs and let the registration process run again as though it was new. Then connect your machine and let Migration Assistant (part of the registration process) PROPERLY bring over your stuff.

From your description it sounds like you've attempted to concoct some custom manner of bringing over selected files. That's where you made the mistake. Let Migration Assistant run as it was designed to (again, it explains EVERYTHING that is going to do in advance during the initial account setup process.

Once that's done, you'll have a mirror-image clone of your old Mac on your new Mac. You can THEN move the iTunes and iPhoto libraries (which will be EXACTLY as they were on your old Mac) over to external drives if you like using the instructions in my first post.

It only gets complicated if you ignore the original setup and try to do some kind of custom thing. That's where people run into trouble.

OP
Z
Reaction score
The reason there's no guide is because the guide is on-screen when you start up a new Mac for the first time. I'm not sure how you managed to bypass that.

By "start over" I'm suggesting you reset the new Mac to factory specs and let the registration process run again as though it was new. Then connect your machine and let Migration Assistant (part of the registration process) PROPERLY bring over your stuff.

From your description it sounds like you've attempted to concoct some custom manner of bringing over selected files. That's where you made the mistake. Let Migration Assistant run as it was designed to (again, it explains EVERYTHING that is going to do in advance during the initial account setup process.

Once that's done, you'll have a mirror-image clone of your old Mac on your new Mac. You can THEN move the iTunes and iPhoto libraries (which will be EXACTLY as they were on your old Mac) over to external drives if you like using the instructions in my first post.

It only gets complicated if you ignore the original setup and try to do some kind of custom thing. That's where people run into trouble.

Yea I'm in trouble. Thank you for you patience. Do I need to wipe the hard drive again and put in the system disc? I'm not trying to concoct anything. I'm not sure how to proceed. I live far away from any Apple dealer. I just wish there was a way to understand what to do.

OP
Z
Reaction score

Yea I'm in trouble. Thank you for your patience. Do I need to wipe the hard drive again and put in the system disc? I'm not trying to concoct anything. I'm not sure how to proceed. I just realized you are in Victoria BC. I live in Sooke. Can you, or do you know somebody that can help me get by this?

OP
Z
Reaction score
I've had a terrible time attempting to move from my old imac (2GHZ Intel Cor 2Duo) on 10.5.8 on to a imac (3.06 Ghz intel Core 2 Duo) on 10.6.8.

I've attempted to use MIgration Assistant with a fire wire cable and have ended up with a mess of redundant files that are not associated with the programs they came from.

So I'm ready to start one more time before I abandon these computers.

Can somebody tell me step by step what to do? I've been using macs since buying my first Mac classic with an 8" black and white screen. This is my 5th Mac and I can't believe I am ready to change platforms just so I can get back to work. Obviously I don't understand how these systems work, probably because they are too automated for me to comprehend what they want me to do.

Question 1: In order to start over it has been suggested that I reset the new Mac to factory specs. Should I do a clean install using the disc that came with the new mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start a new thread. Continue posting to the original thread. I merged your threads together here to the original. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To Chas, what he is attempting to do is use Firewire Target Disk Mode and move the files that way.

I do agree that Migration Assistant should do it for you. Try like Chas said to reset the new Mac to factory and then run Migration Assistant. Let us know if that works. If not, I can give you a step by step to copy, but try MA again first.

If you boot up the older iMac, do all the music and photos still show up in iTunes and iPhoto?

You don't go into Target Disk Mode when using Migration Assistant. Just connect the cable.

OP
Z
Reaction score
To Chas, what he is attempting to do is use Firewire Target Disk Mode and move the files that way.

I do agree that Migration Assistant should do it for you. Try like Chas said to reset the new Mac to factory and then run Migration Assistant. Let us know if that works. If not, I can give you a step by step to copy, but try MA again first.

If you boot up the older iMac, do all the music and photos still show up in iTunes and iPhoto?

You don't go into Target Disk Mode when using Migration Assistant. Just connect the cable.

The older Mac is just like it was. When I did the Migration Assistant it directed me to use the Target boot up on the old Mac.

Should I wipe the new hard drive and install a new system?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's been ages since I ever used a FW cable to do the MA.

Did you do a Time Machine backup on the older iMac? If so, MA will read that also and a proper Time Machine backup will include everything on the main drive. I usually just use the TM backup with Migration Assistant.

OP
Z
Reaction score
swriling around

It's been ages since I ever used a FW cable to do the MA.

Did you do a Time Machine backup on the older iMac? If so, MA will read that also and a proper Time Machine backup will include everything on the main drive. I usually just use the TM backup with Migration Assistant.

I did do a Time Machine backup on the older machine. But I can't see where all the files are.

I feel like such an idiot. I started learning DOS when the 386 was the new hot machine. All this automated software just doesn't make any sense to me. But I am willing to re-do everything if I can just get a step by step procedure.

This is the first time in 5 Macs that I ever needed help! I've always been able to figure it out. But then this is the first time I needed to transfer files from one machine to another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 10.6.8, 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR 3
The same thing happened when I recently bought a MacBookPro. My teenage daughter, who was inheriting the little ol' MacBook, copied all my files onto a thumb drive and loaded them into the new computer, Some of them didn't transfer, and seem to have disappeared from the MacBook.

Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.