Bit disappointed in Apple (Apple TV & iMac Issues):(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard drive
Last night I tried to update my Jailbroken Apple TV 2 from ios 4.4.4 to ios 5.x and for some reason, the iMac that i recently bought for £1500 would not restore the unit in iTunes, I had to use my old £300 laptop with windows *shudders*

I must admit, it was disappointing that the mac wouldnt restore the apple tv, they are family after all :(

Lucky for me, I didn't sell the laptop yet, I fear I will have to keep it hidden in the wardrobe for such events in the future.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the mac wouldn't update the apple tv unit ? All i was trying to do was restore the unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Is it apples fault that you jailbroke your apple tv and were having issues with it?
But try reinstalling itunes and repairing disk permissions

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard drive
I was trying to remove the jailbreak and update the software, I was not having any issues with the unit, I just liked the look of the new UI of ios5 and that is why I updated the software.

My disappointment was that no matter how many times I tried with the iMac, it would not let me restore the unit, it kept coming back with error 21 or error 1600 yet the windows machine restored the unit first time.

I bought the iMac to get away from windows. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I was trying to remove the jailbreak and update the software, I was not having any issues with the unit, I just liked the look of the new UI of ios5 and that is why I updated the software.

My disappointment was that no matter how many times I tried with the iMac, it would not let me restore the unit, it kept coming back with error 21 or error 1600 yet the windows machine restored the unit first time.

I bought the iMac to get away from windows. lol

Was the Apple TV set up on the iTunes on your PC or the Mac ?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The appletv was originally set up using the windows machine, however I also set up my brothers appletv with jailbreak on the same machine and he managed to restore it on his imac a few weeks ago.

I think this just added to my frustration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The appletv was originally set up using the windows machine, however I also set up my brothers appletv with jailbreak on the same machine and he managed to restore it on his imac a few weeks ago.

I think this just added to my frustration.

Since you don't know what the error was EXACTLY that it gave you, it's kinda hard to tell you WHY you had a problem in the first place. The reality is that sometimes things don't work in OS X as they are supposed to. But you didn't exactly help the matter by plugging in a jailbroken device and just expecting it to go smoothly. It may have done so in Windows simply by virtue of something going on (or not going on) in Windows vs OS X, or even on the computers themselves. For example, regarding error 1600 that you mentioned "may" have been one of the errors:

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/4328
Error 1600, 1601, etc...

Ensure all other iDevices (iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc...) are disconnected when restoring in iTunes.
Connect ONLY the USB cable. Power, ethernet, HDMI, and optical cables should remain disconnected.
Try using a different USB port and/or removing any USB hubs.
Try an alternate micro-USB cable - a good, low cost cable can be found here.

It may have only restored on the Windows box because you "accidentally" adhered to these requirements, or to whichever one that otherwise was the problem on your iMac.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I will chalk it up to experience. I don't plan on jailbreaking it again, it was only done to see what else I could get out of unit. I am only really using it for music and Netflix which are standard on the unit now, at the time of buying it there wasn't much on it except iTunes movies which I personally think are too expensive to rent.

I am looking forward to seeing if they mention any new changes to the ios at the WWDC.

C

chas_m

at the time of buying it there wasn't much on it except iTunes movies which I personally think are too expensive to rent.

Compared to what? Have you been in a video rental store in the last five years or so?

(not even counting the time and gas money that involves ...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Compared to what? Have you been in a video rental store in the last five years or so?

(not even counting the time and gas money that involves ...)

Have you? They're a buck (buck 50 for Blu-Ray) at RedBox, found easily at every grocery store in my town anyway plus many other spots. Gas expense is non-existent if you grab one while out. Blockbuster is a buck now also, if I'm not mistaken, though not necessarily conveniently located. And of course compared to what NetFlix costs for unlimited streaming… yeah. Rentals on iTunes are too expensive.

C

chas_m

You're right, I forgot about Redbox. Blockbuster is LONG gone from anyplace I've lived in the last five years, I'm surprised to hear they still have stores at all.

Netflix isn't renting, so it doesn't count. :)

Finally, I must point out that Apple doesn't set the price of movie rentals. So, just like the OP's incorrect blaming of Apple for his Mac not updating his hacked Apple TV, it's unfair to blame iTunes for the rental prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.