Need help tranfering files

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm at the end of my tether. I have an IMac running 10.5. and a newer one that I just inherited. It's running Lepard as well. My old one has screen lines, so I'd like to move into the newer one. I want to transfer my music and pics from Itunes and I photo. I've been using a firewire cable with Migration Assistant with the T boot up and it seems to be transferring the data, but I can't find the data to put into the new Imacs I tunes. I did a clean install on the newer machine and that all went well. I've been running Macs since my first classic and can't believe this is so difficult. Help!:Oops:

OP
Z
Reaction score
Migration Assistant creates a User on the new machine, identical to the old computer's username - your files are under whatever the old username was.

Thanx for your reply.

I found some photos from the old Imac and a whole bunch of silly images I didn't want . Is there no way just to recreate my old set up on the new computer? I guess I should know more about this operating systems after all these years being a user. There must be some straight forward method.

OP
Z
Reaction score
No luck, wish I knew what I was doing

When I open up I tunes on the new computer, shouldn't I be able to import all the tunes?
Is my problem because I have my music in I tunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You need to be much more precise in your explanation of "what you did."
Did you log in using the old username and were the files transferred there?
Can you tell from the change in disk space whether the files were transferred?

Migration Assistant will copy your setup from the old computer, incuding the files being accessible only for the old username account. Does that help?

OP
Z
Reaction score
You need to be much more precise in your explanation of "what you did."
Did you log in using the old username and were the files transferred there?
Can you tell from the change in disk space whether the files were transferred?

I could tell that the disk space has been used. I just don't know how to get the files I want into the programs I use ie Itunes and I photos. I have saved slide shows that I would like to see on the new Imac.

Migration Assistant will copy your setup from the old computer, incuding the files being accessible only for the old username account. Does that help?

I'm sure you're telling me the right stuff but I'm just no understanding how to accomplish this. When I see the hard drive represented on the desktop of the new Imac and I look at some files there are many dupicates. The files are not associated with the applications where I stored them. When I fire up the app on the new computer I am expecting to be able to import them. But none of that is available. The app on the new computer doesn't seem to "see' the files from the old computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.