No library folder in Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
I have os x version 10.6.8 and there is no library folder on my computer. I tried the "go" menu in finder and holding down the option key and nothing appeared. I also tried searching the term "library" in both finder and spotlight and nothing came up. Am I missing something essential on my Macbook?? (I bought it used, so I am not the original owner...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Although I'm still using Leopard, the first time I heard about the User's Library folder being hidden was after Lion was released. Don't get me started on Spotlight, the most useless piece of software on my Mac. (I never use it, therefore it's useless. But, I stopped using it after multiple searches were fruitless.) Ok, I'm a self-starter... ;)

Try a different user account and see if it's there. Of course, it won't be the same one as in your regular account, but if that works, your account holds the key to the problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are Library folders in three different locations under 10.6.8. They are in the following locations:

1. One Library folder is at the root level of your startup drive.
2. One is inside the System folder that is at the root level of your hard drive.
3. One Library folder is inside of your User folder. So the path might be, for example, Hard Drive/User/Bob/Library. In Snow Leopard all of these folders are visible.

In Lion the Library folder that is inside your user folder is hidden. If your Mac is running properly these folders are there. Particularly the Library folder at the root level of the drive. It contains files vital to proper operation.

Edit: I can't seem to find the reference right now but I believe Spotlight is not finding these folders because it ignores System files by default. Hopefully the brain trust here will correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have os x version 10.6.8 and there is no library folder on my computer. I tried the "go" menu in finder and holding down the option key and nothing appeared. I also tried searching the term "library" in both finder and spotlight and nothing came up. Am I missing something essential on my Macbook?? (I bought it used, so I am not the original owner...)

The Library folder must be there. You absolutely would not be able to log into your Mac without it. Even "if" the root Library or your user Library got deleted, they'd be recreated from scratch when you log in. As mentioned, the user Library is hidden by default now in Lion, but you are on Snow Leopard so that's not the problem.

The only thing that makes sense is that you have somehow gotten it to be hidden. Grab TinkerTool. It's a free app and has an option to enable the viewing of hidden files in Finder. Tell us if the folder appears once that option is enabled.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Don't look under the Go menu on Snow Leopard. Open Users, Username and it should be in there. That is the Users Library folder. Like Sly said there are 3 Library folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.