Access Denied

I

illuminatus

Warning!! Warning!! New Mac User Alert!!!

Thought it best to let warn you.

Just tried to reinstall Palm Desktop 4.0 onto my Powerbook running OS X so I can sync my Sony Clie (after installing the Missing Sync 3.0 software, finding that it didn't work thought that a reinstallation of Desktop might be a good place to start). First thing I noticed was that the installer asked me where I wished to put the software, which I hadn't noticed with anything else I'd put on the machine. Then came the typical 'Your Mac may need restarting...'. Fine. Then up popped a little warning message telling me 'Sorry, the operation could not be completed due to a System error: (Access Denied).

The only other thing that I noticed was that it didn't ask me for my system admin username and password before installing the software, as it has done with everything else I've worked with. I tried to install another piece of software after Desktop 4.0 and it worked fine.

Could anyone help me? The software was downloaded and I've tried downloading again just in case the original was corrupt, to no avail. I just can't seem to get past it. Classic OS is installed if anyone thinks I should run it under OS 9. Any suggestions let me know.

Cheers

ibm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
have you tried using iSync?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
err... Ide agree with mac addikt.

OP
I

illuminatus

That's nice.

Unfortunately, the problem is the Sync software (iSync or Missing Sync) it's the Palm Desktop software, which is a prerequisite for both. So to get back to the original problem, any suggestions on how to resolve the installation issue I have with Palm Desktop 4.0?

Cheers Again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you logged in as the computer owner?

OP
I

illuminatus

aye, I am indeed.

Thing is that the installation of any other software works fine. Asks for username and password before installation and everything. Just this one piece of software (Desktop 4.0) causing problems. This obviously isn't a well known problem, which leads me to believe that it's my inexperience as a Mac user that's 'causing the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think its your inexperience, there arn't any special tricks you need to know, to operate a mac with skill... pretty much what you think it will do, it will do.

Try to explain it in more detail... step by step.. I may have missed something and just assumed.

OP
I

illuminatus

'kay, step by step....

...bought Mac, pleased as punch with pretty box and pretty GUI....fast forward....

Wanted to sync my Clie, found that it's not supported under Mac, and that an piece of interpreting software was required in the form of Missing Sync.

Read the documentation, saw that Palm Desktop 4.0 was a prerequisit before installing Missing Sync, so downloaded that and installed it.

Bought Missing Sync via download, upon completion, stuffit extracted and installed the software.

Connected Clie, ran HotSync (part of Palm Desktop)....nothing happened....ah I thought to myself, it's not working (you did ask for step by step ;).

Thought that a reinstall of Palm Desktop might be a good idea, so ran the installation program.

(This is the bit where it all went **** up.)

First thing I noticed was that the installer asked me where I wished to put the software, which I hadn't noticed with anything else I'd put on the machine. Then came the typical 'Your Mac may need restarting...'. Fine. Then up popped a little warning message telling me 'Sorry, the operation could not be completed due to a System error: (Access Denied).

The only other thing that I noticed was that it didn't ask me for my system admin username and password before installing the software, as it has done with everything else I've worked with. I tried to install another piece of software after Desktop 4.0 and it worked fine.

Could anyone help me? The software was downloaded and I've tried downloading again just in case the original was corrupt, to no avail. I just can't seem to get past it. Classic OS is installed if anyone thinks I should run it under OS 9. Any suggestions let me know.

Please note to people reading since some confusion has arisen, the problem is not with Missing Sync, but with Palm Desktop.

Thanks to all and sundry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
searched macupdate again and found this:

Palm4Fix 1.2.3

Palm4Fix fixes an error in which some users were unable to sync their Palm devices with Mac OS 9 due to an error "#1852402768"
it OS9 (classic) only.

and just as an OS X tip, not all software will need you to be logged in as an administrator. I think almost all apple software does though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... where did you install it? Applications (probly where ide put it).. ive gota Palm, i have an early iMac 233 with IR port so i just use that to sync.. and its OS9 i use... there really shouldn't be much of a diff between OSX and OS9 installation only OS9 is a tad less stable, and you have complete control over everything.

Ide probly try something dumb like when I read "This macintosh requires restarting" ide go to finder, blue apple "force quit", and force quit the app, and manully restart. Although most mac apps give you a option to click cancle after you installed it, or continue, and ide quit from there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Possibly it tried to write to a protected directory for some reason. Activate the root user and log in as that. To activate the root account: Go into netinfo manager (in utilities). In the menu choose "Domain -> Security -> Authenticate" then "Domain -> Security -> Enable Root User" - it varies slightly for the different versions of X, but if you can't find it look around a bit in the menus. After entering a root password, you have to turn the option to log in as 'other user' or whatever it is so you can type the login name at login instead of selecting it from a list. Be warned, the root account has no restrictions, therefore you can potentially wreck your computer very easily. My advice is to turn it back off when you are finished with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am even a lil worried about login in as root, but that is a good suggestion.

I think we are all a little bit clueless on this one..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Originally posted by Graphite@Mar 1 2003, 07:47 PM
I think we are all a little bit clueless on this one..
ya, ive never owned a PDA, so i cant really help from experience

OP
I

illuminatus

tried it, no joy I'm afraid. Looks like it's a 'System Error' problem rather than a 'Access Denied' issue.

I'll see what Palm say if they get back to me.

Thanks anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i talked to someone who does own a Palm and runs on 10.2.4 . they said they didnt have any problem installing Palm's software, and he doesnt remember it asking him for a password (not the reliable answer i was looking for) but when he tried to Sync his Palm, it erased everything off his Palm. He isnt the most computer saavy person, so he might have done something wrong. but its something to consider when using the Palm software

OP
U

unl33t

sony clie

illuminatus said:
tried it, no joy I'm afraid. Looks like it's a 'System Error' problem rather than a 'Access Denied' issue.

Thanks anyway

over the past week i've installed the latest hotsync off the palm site and Missing sync (download) and i've had no trouble. mind you that my powerbook is only two weeks old atm.

if there is a way, i'd suggest thuroughly clearing out the currently installed hotsync and misisng sync and trying it with the latest.

note: when i installed both pieces of software i was asked for my admin password and to restart the system for both. the only trouble i've had was getting ical to sync and not deleate my datebook on my clie (doh)

OP
R

Rick Beaver

Palm Access Denied

I had the same problem as many of you with trying to install Palm 4.1 and getting the access denied. After spending at least 3 hours with Apple and Palm tech support, re-installing my system software with the archive and save network settings. Then going through the 2 hours of upgrades, re-intalling about 10 programs that didn't work after that. It still would not install. Finally I had an idea and I tried this and it works fine. I did a find , PALM, and delted everything I could find that could be realted to my old palm stuff. The software installed perfectly. One thing to remembed if you sync with Entourage like I do, save the entourage conduits to use again. Works fine except for I am unable to get it to sync the memo section of Entourage. I have got it to work if yo set that one to Palm over writes Entourage.

OP
R

Ralston

This fix worked for me

This problem happened to me when I re-installed OS X to get rid of a separate problem (and then lost another day's work resolving this one!) In my case the 'Access Denied' error was caused by a conflict with an OS 9 version of Hotsync that had been left over from before I installed X the first time.

I found in the end that I could install Desktop 4.1 by doing a custom install and NOT selecting Hotsync.

This confirmed that Hotsync was the problem. Since several of the files were untouchable in OS X, it was necessary to re-boot in 9.2, delete the files and return to OS X.

After that I could load Desktop and Hotsync with no problem, install Missing Sync and re-establish contact with my Clié...

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
illuminatus said:

Thanks anyway

I'm a new mac user but i've been a long time palm user and to my understanding you DO NOT need Missing Sync to sync a Palm device onto a Mac. To my understanding Missing Sync is only for Pocket PC users, NOT palm users. so maybe you should try unninstalling Missing Sync and just install the Palm desktop software and see if that doesn't work. I could be totally off and I apologize if I am.

Good Luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.