Access Denied

OP
R

Ralston

fasheezy said:
... to my understanding you DO NOT need Missing Sync to sync a Palm device onto a Mac...
Good Luck.

It is correct that you do not need the Missing Sync to sync a Palm made by Palm to a Mac. The Missing Sync is needed, however, to sync a Palm made by Sony (a Clié). Sony do not provide the necessary software for Mac presumably because they make their own PC...

Palm provide the Mac compatible software when you purchase their PDA, Sony do not, which is why the program is called the "Missing" sync!

OP
J

johndierks

Are you using Stuffit Expander Version 8.0? It doesn't properly expand .sit files. If you are, upgrade to 8.0.1.

I had this same kind of problem, and this made everything A-OK.

It's a hard problem to find because everything appears to work fine.

OP
N

npenny

I am having the exact same problem as you!

I downloaded Palm Desktop 4.1 about a week ago. Installed it & all was well. I deleted the program (I won't get into why) a couple of days later. I just downloaded it again this afternoon and tried to install it. I am getting the exact same results as you:
-asking which folder to install
-telling me that it may have to restart aftewards
-Sorry the application could no be installed due to a System error: (access denied)

I did a search at Apple's site and then Palm's. Then I googled it and found your thread (First time I've been here by the way...nice forum)

I'll keep looking and I'll report back if I find anything...let me know if you do first.

Thanks,

npenny

OP
U

unl33t

i also have a clie. but when in stalled the hotsync software, i don't recall having any issues like yours. the only ones i had was getting the synced data to behave the way i wanted between mail, ical, etc. and my clie (nx70)

hope palm can answer your questions. have you tried the version of hotsync that is supposed to be included on the "missing sync" CD?

OP
N

npenny

It worked just fine for me the first time I installed the Palm Desktop & Hotsync Mgr. In fact, I had not even heard of this missing sync software.
The one action that is similar between illuminatus and I is that we both are trying to install the software for a 2nd time. I'm wondering what may have been left behind (setting? file?) that causes this 'access denied" business.

OP
J

jimmy jom

Thank you Ralston

and npenny for asking the question in the first place. I was having the identical problem and was on my way to reinstalling 10.2 before I read this. Worked like a charm.

Big Help

OP
G

genevish

Solution

The files that appear to be un-removeable by the installer are in:

/Library/Application Support/Palm Hotsync/

I just moved the whole folder to the desktop and it worked fine.

-Scott

OP
S

spider

illuminatus said:
tried it, no joy I'm afraid. Looks like it's a 'System Error' problem rather than a 'Access Denied' issue.

I'll see what Palm say if they get back to me.

Thanks anyway[/QUOTE

I have a new 14 inch I Book. I've been trying to load and hot snyc my Palm for a couple of days also. I had it hot sync once. I'm currently havig the exact same message when trying to install the palm application, "access denied"

You are not the only one out there with this.

OP
S

spider

Your issue has a solution on the palm website. Go to the software site for palm and look at the OS X info. There is a download there to reset the folders in your Ibook that are causing the "access denied" issue. I tried it, it worked.

OP
S

spider

Problem Solveed

I had the same problem with my new Ibook. I finally found that on the Palm website, under Mac support, there is a patch to fix the "access denied" problem with the install. Just download that and install it, Then follow the install instructions to a "t".

Good Luck.

OP
S

sevenstring

Problem Solved!!!

I got the same 'access denied' message. Mac had me do a useless archive and install of Panther. That was not the solution!!

I called mac, everyone thought it was a permissions problem...it's not apparently. It's a Palm issue, and there is a fix. Thank God one guy at Mac knew what he was talking about...

Palm has issued a "permissions fixer". You run it, and then you can install the palm desktop software.

This should do it YAY!

Here's the link:

ibm[/QUOTE] :) http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/permissions_fixer.html

Hop this solves it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.