G5 making clicking sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
It just started doing this a couple of days ago. Every ten minutes or so, while the computer is on, I'll hear this weird sound. It's the sound that it makes when you put the computer to sleep, and it sounds like a fan engaging or disengaging, or something. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it normal? Should I be worried?

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
What are you working on while doing this?

I believe it does this when it's working hard at something, or doing multiple heavy processes.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just on the internet. Nothing out of the ordinary...

Reaction score
Sounds like a hard drive issue. I had the same problem and my hard drive ended up failing. I would definitely get it looked at before you have a major problem.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have TechTool Pro 4 and I just started the Advanced Suite test thingy. So if there is a problem, this should find it.

Reaction score
Does it, slow down? lock up or freeze? I had to return a G5 for this and it was making a noise from the Fan (which i thought was normal)
The fan would be on low idle then kick in hard for a sec then back to idle then after a while it started to slow and freeze up sometimes, when before it ran fine??

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, TechTool didn't find anything majorly wrong. There aren't really any performance issues. I'll be comfortable just knowing that it's not a hard drive issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.