File backup of 10.5?

Reaction score
Hey

I have a PPC G5 tower which is installed with Leopard. Unfortunately I've misplaced my Leopard disk, though I still have my Tiger disk.

Using a Finnix disk I've taken a dd clone of the whole drive as a backup, but my concern is whether this would be of any use should I put in a larger drive (there are stories of restores to larger drives keeping the original size).

So my question is, would it be possible to take a file backup of the main partition and reinstate these files following an install of Tiger?

i.e. Install Tiger, set fresh partition info, overwrite Tiger with Leopard.

Thanks for any advice. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know about the program you used to do the cloning. I do know that either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner can be used to clone from a smaller drive to a larger one without compromising drive space.

And yes, you should be able to install Leopard over Tiger provided you use the proper Leopard DVD - preferably a retail (black) version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.