Hard drive issue: Free space keeps increasing

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just joined here, so if I’m posting somewhere where I’m not supposed to please let me know. I have a 2008 Macbook Unibody and I have recently upgraded to Lion. The issue that I’m having is the following. On the desktop where i can see my hard drive and indicates the available space I show the following: 249gb ....580gb free. So basically I have the original hard drive that came with the system which is 250gb but I have 580gb free and it keeps increasing by the minute. I have verified the disk under disk Utility no problems were found, I have repaired the disk's permission everything is ok, but I don’t understand why that is happening, it just doesn’t make sense for the free space to keep increasing by the minute when I’m actually downloading more things.... :eek:
I'm on 2gb RAM I know it’s not enough that's why I have ordered 8GB ram and should be arriving in the next couple days.(hopefully this will fixing issue, but now sure)
Could it be the insufficient RAM causing this issue?
Could it be that my Hard drive is going bad and needs changing?
I have spoken to someone from Apple tech support and they told me that the hard drive shouldn’t be going bad and most likely could be the RAM causing the issues.
What do you guys think, if anyone could shed some light here I would really appreciate it..!!!

Thank you in advance..!!! :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Guys,

I know what i'm asking is strange but can anyone shed some light...???
Please helppppp!!!

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question, i have Lion installed already but i want to reinstall it from a USB drive. My question is do i have to uninstall pre existing lion or can i just boot computer using USB(with lion) and doing the installation ontop of the already existing one....??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
why would you want to overlay existing osx first place ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It will be done over the top of existing but unless you wipe the HD and install it it will do what we call a Archive and Install keeping all settings as was with the existing OS. What you will get is exactly as you have now. To do a clean install you need to boot into the USB find Disk Utility, wipe your HD then install the OS.
You didnt specify what you wanted to do.

Cheers

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you,

But the reason why i want to do this is because of this:

The issue that I’m having is the following. On the desktop where i can see my hard drive and indicates the available space I show the following: 249gb ....580gb free. So basically I have the original hard drive that came with the system which is 250gb but I have 580gb free and it keeps increasing by the minute. I have verified the disk under disk Utility no problems were found, I have repaired the disk's permission everything is ok, but I don’t understand why that is happening, it just doesn’t make sense for the free space to keep increasing by the minute when I’m actually downloading more things....
I'm on 2gb RAM I know it’s not enough that's why I have ordered 8GB ram and should be arriving in the next couple days.(hopefully this will fixing issue, but now sure)
Could it be the insufficient RAM causing this issue?
Could it be that my Hard drive is going bad and needs changing?
I have spoken to someone from Apple tech support and they told me to reinstall Lion and most likely will fix the problem, that is why i want to do a reinstall..
What do you guys think, if anyone could shed some light here I would really appreciate it..!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, what is the actual capacity of the drive? Which drive do you have?

I don't see how memory or the lack of could create that problem. My first guess is that it's a error with the hard drive. Make sure you backup everything on the drive before doing anything else. The drive appears to be reporting incorrect information to the system which is why the capacity is wrong.

You may have to erase the drive, format it, and reinstall to see if that corrects the problem. If it doesn't and the drive is still under warranty, ask for a RMA or return it where you purchased it from.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Neekz15

Please do not start a new thread when the subject and problem you're experiencing is the same. Always continue to post to the original thread. I have merged your threads and also answered your question.

Thanks.

OP
N
Reaction score
@Neekz15

Please do not start a new thread when the subject and problem you're experiencing is the same. Always continue to post to the original thread. I have merged your threads and also answered your question.

Thanks.

Sorry about that, i'm a newbie what can i say... Thank you...!!!!

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone,

It seems that there was a bug, which wasn't letting the hard drive to calculate the correct available free space. I ended up reinstalling Lion from USB and resulted in solving the problem. I just hope it doesn't occur again though.

Thanks again...!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.