A1207 IMAC Hard Drive Taken From A PC?

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this. I recently acquired an IMAC A1207 with a bad hard drive (according to the disk utility). First of all, let me say that this is my first MAC, so I have no experience using one but I am determined to learn! That being said, I decided to take my 1TB Seagate from my PC and install it in the IMAC, figuring I would erase and format it during the installation of the OS. I didn't do anything to prepare the hd prior to installing it. After installing it, I turned it on and inserted an install disk for OSX 10.6, snow leopard I believe, and the only thing that happens is: a folder appears with a ?. This symbol flashes every few seconds so I take it that it's not reading the disk? Should I have formatted the HD in my pc before installing it in the MAC? I only have a wireless keyboard at this time. My wired keyboard is not usb. Should I be able to boot from the disk by pressing "c" after the chime or am I gonna need to buy a usb keyboard for this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You need to boot from the Snow Leopard disk by holding down the "C" key while booting the computer.

Then format the HD..."Mac OS Extended Journaled" (launch Disk Utility from the drop down menus).

Then do the OS install.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the rapid response. It didn't work with the wireless keyboard so I'll look for a usb keyboard and try again. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.