Another CRT Question(cleaning)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
I just got an iMac CRT 600Mhz for a ridiculously low price however, the casing is pretty dirty. Is there any way to remove the case and clean it? I dont want to try not knowing and break it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Mod Note: Moved to correct forum.

Reaction score
I have always heard that it isn't a very good idea to take the case off a CRT monitor due to possibly of shocking yourself. I would just try your best to clean it with it on.

B

Badger

You can use use a mild cleaner mix you make yourself. Take 4 ounces of water and add one or two drops of dishwashing liquid. Use a soft cloth. Paper towels can leave fuzz. I don't like Windex or similar products because they may leave a film that just attracts more dirt and they can damage the protective layer on the CRT.

I

iMacTravis

mynameis said:
I have always heard that it isn't a very good idea to take the case off a CRT monitor due to possibly of shocking yourself. I would just try your best to clean it with it on.
Yeah, CRT monitors have alot of electricity in them even when off. TechTV suggested not even doing it, its not worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
iMacTravis said:
Yeah, CRT monitors have alot of electricity in them even when off. TechTV suggested not even doing it, its not worth it.
These guys are chickens! [twitches uncontrolably]

I play with electricity all the time [mild facial tick]. Just don't touch anything that looks like a capacitor [blinks three times]. The back of the CRT tube does hold a really big charge that can kill you though so maybe don't touch that either[twitch, twitch].

OP
Thad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
Thanks for the warnings guys, I think Ill just leave it be as far as taking the case off. My main concern with it was that the vent holes on top of the iMac are the dirtiest part. It looks like dust smoldered there. There are also some "dust burns" where the front of the case and the back of the case connect. Has anyone had experience cleaning this particular type of hard to reach grime.

???
:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.