iPhoto won't load - new iMac

Reaction score
Hi - I've posted elsewhere but I think I posted in the wrong place! Briefly - totally new iMac delivered last night, main thing I wanted to do was to use iPhoto, and also to download Serif Photoplus Starter Edition. So, downloaded Serif, but all that opens is a box with some strange characters on it and iPhoto tells me that I already have something open (can't remember what it says) and therefore I need to try to press control / command and option - did that, got a load of messages about repairing, so tried all those... all to no avail! Now I'm v v new to mac, so please bear with me! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
I did a quick Google and there isn't a version of Serif Photoplus Starter for Mac. Windows programs will not run on Macs so I'm afraid you're going to have to find an alternative.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Madwolfe - thank you very much - does this now mean I should uninstall Serif and then iPhoto will work? Many thanks again - BollyK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should, however I am unsure how you even managed to install it, considering it is a Windows program.

What exactly happens when you try to open iPhoto? Post a screenshot/error codes.

OP
B
Reaction score
Potentially it hasn't installed - when I went into 'downloads' as I said all I got was a load of strange code letters in a box. I shall indeed uninstall (how do I do that?!?! - as I siad, first time Mac user...). Am on a pc at present but will post the message tonight. You've been really helpful thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just delete the file then, it shouldn't make any differences however apart from cleaning up your hard drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Madwolfe - deleted file from downloads file but to no avail - it doesn't seem to have completely gone... here's the message I keep getting when I try and open iPhoto:

Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable: Shut down and restart your computer, and then open iPhoto again. If the problem persists, try rebuilding your photo library. To do this, quit iPhoto, and then reopen it while keeping the Option and Command keys pressed. You can also try restoring your photo library from a backup.

So I have done all that - well, I think so,... and nothing has happened! All help gratefully received - thank you +

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.