• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorders that upload easily to Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum for the topic but I want to buy a new camcorder however want it to be able to upload right from the memory card to the desktop, i.e. I don't want to have to use imovie. I want to easily upload to youtube or to burn the file to a DVD etc., like (I think?) videos do from my memory card when I shoot video on my camera (but I want a camcorder that takes better video than my camera). I have OSX 10.6.8. I called Mac Technical Support and they thought I just need to be sure the camcorder shoots in MP4--will that do it? Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My Flip UltraHD does that, but I'm not sure if that's the kind of Camcorder you're looking for. What are the requirements for the camera itself? Are you looking to shoot just quick videos, or something you intend to keep for posterity? How about zoom - do you intend to shoot sporting events, that sort of thing?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, cwa107. I want a fairly good camcorder, for posterity footage. Not sure I want ACHDV most of the time as I understand (I think?) that MP4 is easier/quicker to work with, but decnet. I don't know how important HD is but I'm might want that. I could spend up to $800 or so though would rather spend less of course but want to get something really decent. I'd like good performance in sunlight as well as low light, and good audio quality with just the built-in microphone. Yes, would like to shoot my kids' sporting events, ballet shows, orchestra concerts, etc. so some amount of zoom for sure. The Flip my daughter has is fine for quick videos like you say, but not for higher quality ones (I thought they stopped making Flips?)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for your reply, cwa107. I want a fairly good camcorder, for posterity footage. Not sure I want ACHDV most of the time as I understand (I think?) that MP4 is easier/quicker to work with, but decnet. I don't know how important HD is but I'm might want that. I could spend up to $800 or so though would rather spend less of course but want to get something really decent. I'd like good performance in sunlight as well as low light, and good audio quality with just the built-in microphone. Yes, would like to shoot my kids' sporting events, ballet shows, orchestra concerts, etc. so some amount of zoom for sure. The Flip my daughter has is fine for quick videos like you say, but not for higher quality ones (I thought they stopped making Flips?)

They did, although for the life of me, I don't understand why. We use our Flip camera a lot actually, much more so than our older Canon Elura (which uses tapes) and is just very bulky to carry around on vacations, events with the kids, etc.

The traditional cameras that use tapes were very difficult to import video from because the tape had to essentially play out and stream to the computer. But modern flash memory camcorders store their files just as a computer would. So, I'm guessing most write in normal formats that can be easily played by any standard computer.

I haven't shopped camcorders in a few years, so I can't make a specific recommendation - but I have seen some people complain about JVC here recently - evidently they've taken to using some kind of proprietary format for video files that makes them difficult to work with on a Mac. So, you might want to steer clear of JVC.

Otherwise, the Mac is very popular with videographers, so I suspect most of the camera manufacturers cater to that audience. I know our Canon Elura 65 (which is quite old now) has no problems with the Mac, even though it wasn't originally bought with Mac compatibility in mind. As I said, it does need to be imported into iMovie in order to upload the video, but I'd imagine that isn't the case with more modern cameras. I've always been pretty happy with Canon - they might be worth a look.

Hope that helps.

OP
A
Reaction score
no, this is the problem, which is what I am asking about. Having to import to and process in imovie is really laborious and time-consuming. I am trying to find out if anyone knows a) if camcorders today do record on the memory card in such a way that the files upload easily and in a format that can be shared immediately without any more processing, like Flip files. ANd if that is possible, what feature/s do I look for so I'll know this is the case?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Reaction score
I have a Sony HD Camcorder. Model#HDR-SR10. I have used it no problem in iMovie '09. Downloads to my 24" iMac Snow Leopard OS. It uses a 40 gb hard drive to record to with an option to also use a Memory Stick Pro Duo. I have used both. Records in AVCHD. Carl Zeiss Lens, 15X optical zoom, 4 mp still photos also. It is not that big and I find small and portable enough not to be a problem to carry around.
I am sure since I bought this a few years ago there are far superior models to the one I have. I believe you can stay around or below your price point no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.