AirPort Configuration - what to do?

Reaction score
Okay I have Mac OS X 10.5.8
I'm traveling round Thailand and have been able to connect to a lot of different networks without any problems. But at one place I suddenly couldn't. I tried turning AirPort on and off, changed location. I used both Network Diagnostics and Assistant but no matter what I did it didn't work. The AirPort status in my menu bar was full though. Then I think I did something I've shouldn't have done; I trashed the system config. folder (from the system/library folder) and restarted my mac. I'd heard that I was supposed to get a fresh folder and that my network settings should be reset. When I restarted I checked and the the system config. folder was gone and the AirPort status in the menu bar showed inactive. So I tried opening System Preferences once again - it simply wouldn't open! I went down in Trash and saw the system config. folder I'd trashed before and dragged it back into the system library folder - I was then able to open the System Preferences again, but now things got difficult. Now I couldn't go on any network from any of the different places with free Wi-Fi I visited. So, this is still the status; The AirPort keep showing as if inactive and when I click it, it says AirPort not configured. I have tried turning the AirPort on and off, follow the Assist Me procedure many times.
Is there any system configurations that I can download or copy into my mac? How can I configure this AirPort once again, so it at least will show active again? Don't know what I can do that I've already not tried... Hope you guys are able to help me :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.