How much useful life left in a G5 iMac?

pod

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a 20 inch G5 iMac from a friend for £100. He has had it since new and I know it has been very well looked after and fault free.

I would be using it to surf, watch DVDs, listen to iTunes and do some light Adobe CS2 work, all of which I believe this machine should be able to handle.

My main concern is how much longer it will be able to be used for watching online tv, Youtube etc. as Flash is no longer supported on this machine.

A hundred quid for a machine that within a year may be unable to be used for online tv due to the redundant Flash? Interested to hear your views.

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
Thanks louishen.

I know there is currently Flash support for the G5 iMac but I was thinking more of the future, when sites require a higher version of Flash to view their content, which this Old G5 will not be able too do (or does it not work like that?).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks louishen.

I know there is currently Flash support for the G5 iMac but I was thinking more of the future, when sites require a higher version of Flash to view their content, which this Old G5 will not be able too do (or does it not work like that?).

If you have concerns regarding the purchase of this G5 iMac...then don't get it.;)

£100 isn't a whole lot of money for a computer. You have to factor in your investment versus what you get out of it (you get what you pay for).

Don't expect to necessarily get years & years of use out of this computer...the same time that you might get from a brand new computer that costs much more (£999.00+).

If you get 6-12 months out of this computer for £100...you've probably got your money's worth out of it.

With that being said...an iMac G5 will be fine for many activities. Just don't expect the best video performance (You-Tube) or gaming performance. I still have a couple iMac G5's laying around that I use myself...and "dig out" for friends & family to use when they visit.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. You would be MUCH better off getting an older Intel Macintosh with a core 2 duo cpu (Mac-mini, iMac, etc.)...but I also realize that you're probably not going to be able to get one of these used for £100.;)

Reaction score
Thanks louishen.

PowerPC Flash support ended with 10.1 so it's been a year to a year and half since flash was updated..

There is a hack to fool sites into thinking you have 11 it is in essence a fake plug in..

I love PowerPC but iMac G5's while pretty are things I avoid..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.