PowerMac G5 Update

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thursday, 31 May @ 07:00hr. Friends, I took everyones advice and ordered a PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz. It is quoted to have OS 10.5, 4.0 GB Memory, 160GB HD, & Airport Card. This is the one that "pigoo3" (see above script thread) suggested on eBay for $125.00.

Heyyyyy...I didn't exactly "suggest" it!

I was only using it as an example of a computer that you could have gotten for less than the $170 that you paid for the more inferior 1.6ghz Powermac G5.

As it turned out, there was a $51.95 S/H additional charge! But there was a box to check to make an offer.

Yes...there usually is a pretty steep shipping charge for these. They are big & heavy, depends on how far they need to be shipped, and some sellers will try to make a few bucks on the shipping.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI for ANYONE reading this thread. Just saw a Powermac G5, dual 1.8ghz cpu's, with 3 gigs of ram...sell for $55.00 bucks on e-Bay!

Up to this point...I think that this is the lowest price I think that I've seen a dual cpu PM G5 sell for.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Nick, Well that's an excellent price even if a 1.8 is outmoded with today's standard. But I already ordered a 2.0 (which should have more value than a 1.8) for $100.00 & assume that the 1.8 would have a comparable shipping charge. I paid $50.00 S/H and it has been shipped. Did the 1.8 sell for $55 or was it open for bids? My 2.0 was open for bids @ $125 (as you quoted) but was open for offers, hence my $100.00 offer which was accepted. Also saved $2.00 on shipping. And as usual, it is always difficult to get the absolute "best deal" but I feel I made a wise decision. One comment: the people I spoke with at the place I purchased my 2.0 sounded like a very busy dealership. Also sounded Middle East including Iranian, Greek, Iraqi, etc!!! CHOW (Italian for good bye) my friend, Edwin

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I always liked that Dual CPU 2.0 G5. I would rather have it than the Dual 1.8. Worked with one a lot and it was a very nice machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, Well that's an excellent price even if a 1.8 is outmoded with today's standard.

I was kind of confused when I read this statement. :Confused:

Both the 1.6ghz and dual 2.0ghz Powermac G5's you have already purchased are just as "outmoded" as a dual 1.8ghz Powermac G5 (they're all the same vintage).

So I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always liked that Dual CPU 2.0 G5. I would rather have it than the Dual 1.8. Worked with one a lot and it was a very nice machine.

Dennis,

As far as I know...the only difference between a dual 1.8 & a dual 2.0 PM G5 is a very slight performance difference.

I agree...a 2.0ghz PM G5 would be preferred...but a dual 1.8ghz PM G5 really is isn't much different.

Geekbench score 1541 vs. 1692.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well we could go a bit farther. Any first gen Intel Mac Mini is dead in the water. None will run Snow Leopard without a hack of one file. All MacBooks with Integrated graphics will not run Mountain Lion. There is a way around it and its so fast I can't understand Apples reasoning, but that is the way it is. So if you want to keep and run the latest and todays App Store, many Intel macs are and more will soon be dead in the water. :D

OP
F
Reaction score
Well gentleman I have the 2.0 & can't get on the internet! I downloaded my adapter that I use on my other computers. I get a good signal, but something with the password, etc. I'm on my MacBook Pro chatting with my Filipino wife and got tired after 2-hours trying to get on the internet. I don't get on a secure net! I'm ready to turn in, but maybe someone can offer step-by-step advice! Something to do with improper "server" entries although I did not have problems with my other mac's? later. Edwin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well gentleman I have the 2.0 & can't get on the internet!

Wow...that was pretty fast shipping! Congrats!:)

I downloaded my adapter that I use on my other computers.

What do you mean that you "downloaded my adapter". Apple Airport WiFi is usually just a hardware "thing"...and so usually there's not much to download.

If it's a password issue...what exactly is happening? Are you sure you're using the correct password. Also consider that the "issue" could be with the setup of your WiFi router...and not with the new computer (Powermac G5).

I might also mention...to get the best WiFi signal/reception with the Powermac G5 computers...you need this antenna (it plugs into one of the ports on the back of the computer):

antenna_G5.jpg

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, by adapter I felt he was talking an External USB dongle. I am not sure which Dual 2.0 G5 he owns, but I do know that many of the Dual CPU (Not dual core) 2.0's did not come stock with an Airport Extreme card. My friends did not for sure.

If I am correct and you are using a USB WiFi Dongle, what is the brand and Model? I am sure we can help you get it working if it works on other Macs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, by adapter I felt he was talking an External USB dongle.

Yeah...I was sort of thinking that too...but was looking for some clarification.

I am not sure which Dual 2.0 G5 he owns, but I do know that many of the Dual CPU (Not dual core) 2.0's did not come stock with an Airport Extreme card.

Yeah you're right (just checked Everymac.com)...built-in Airport was optional (believe it or not) on ALL PM G5 models (even the dual-core). It would be interesting to know how many folks actually bought them without Airport. I've owned two PM G5's (got them both used)...and both had built-in Airport.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That friend of mine got his without. At the time he was a PC person and got the PM G5 Dual 2.0 to give OSX a try and did not know about Airport and such things. I was shocked when he bought it in fact and later when he wanted to hook it up WiFi, I found he did not get it with the Airport Extreme card. So I am guessing a lot of people did that very thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.