Hardshell covers worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
I am a proud owner of a macbook pro and with the many other satisfied costumers you want to protect it. But how? Theres a wide range of hardshell covers but do they do more harm then help? Yes they can protect the outside from scratches and give some protection if you dropped your macbook. But I've noticed theres a few problems with them; they can cause your macbook to heat up much quicker and even possibly over heat. Also they don't protect anything but the outside of your macbook. So are Hardshell Covers worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've never bothered. So, for me, no.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Aluminum scratches quite easily. So, while they add a bit of bulk and none of them fit ideally, I think they're a good investment. I've had two now - the Speck Satin and then later, the Incipio Feather. The Feather was the less bulky of the two and more resilient, but the bottom piece can be dislodged much easier than the Speck (then again, the Speck's clips are flimsy and fail after a few removals).

Then again, a few bumps and bruises happened while my MBP was safely ensconced, and while it scuffed the case, my MBP remains looking like new.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Definitely worth it. I've seen way too many dented, scratched, dinged, nicked, etc....MacBook Pro's.

You'll be kicking yourself in the head the first time your MBP gets messed up...if you REALLY value the appearance of your MBP!!!

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree. Definitely worth it as Nick says. I kept an InCase hard shell on my 2008 MacBook while it was in my possession. It helped me sell it at a premium price because it kept the white poly case spotless. As far as I know, it never prevented cooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
I have a clear specks cover on mine. It keeps it looking perfect and I have never had an issue with overheating. Totally worth it in my opinion....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
II kept an InCase hard shell on my 2008 MacBook while it was in my possession. It helped me sell it at a premium price because it kept the white poly case spotless.

Great point.:) The hard shell cases are a great investment when it's resale time (which we almost always end up doing when it's time to upgrade)!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Speck black satin on mine. Looks great and well worth the money. No heating issues whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have the Clear Speck case when I take my MBP out of the house. worth every penny. I have never had issues taking it off or putting it on and the clips are holding up just fine after a year.

Reaction score
i definitely use hard shell cases to protect my macbook. i use these macbook cases, they're definitely awesome because unlike the speck cases, you can buy them with matching keyboard skins, which i definitely love (yay colors!)

i'm especially partial to the matte cases ones because they provide a better grip. i've never actually tried the gloss/crystal ones, but they SEEM like they'd be more prone to scratches, but they are awfully shiny :p

i've had my matte case for a bit, and it doesn't overheat (there are these little vent things on the bottom) and my case has barely any scratches. but i do take them off once in awhile to clean. i had the speck satin case before, and the clip thingies seem super flimsy and scratched my mbp when i tried to take'em off.

one con about these cases is that they're kinda hard to take off ): but i guess i'd rather have it hard to take off than if they came off easily lol

Reaction score
Yes

I am a proud owner of a macbook pro and with the many other satisfied costumers you want to protect it. But how? Theres a wide range of hardshell covers but do they do more harm then help? Yes they can protect the outside from scratches and give some protection if you dropped your macbook. But I've noticed theres a few problems with them; they can cause your macbook to heat up much quicker and even possibly over heat. Also they don't protect anything but the outside of your macbook. So are Hardshell Covers worth it?

I've had my MBP for 4 years.. it looks brand new on the outside. no kidding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2012MBP, Early-2009MBP 15"(new to me)iPad Air 64GB iPad Air 2 6
i definitely use hard shell cases to protect my macbook. i use these macbook cases, they're definitely awesome because unlike the speck cases, you can buy them with matching keyboard skins, which i definitely love (yay colors!)

i'm especially partial to the matte cases ones because they provide a better grip. i've never actually tried the gloss/crystal ones, but they SEEM like they'd be more prone to scratches, but they are awfully shiny :p

i've had my matte case for a bit, and it doesn't overheat (there are these little vent things on the bottom) and my case has barely any scratches. but i do take them off once in awhile to clean. i had the speck satin case before, and the clip thingies seem super flimsy and scratched my mbp when i tried to take'em off.

one con about these cases is that they're kinda hard to take off ): but i guess i'd rather have it hard to take off than if they came off easily lol
Was excited when I went to the link you listed above until I learned they only offer 13" versions :( Any of you have any idea where I can find a sleeve to fit over my 15" MBP with Speck cover? I've tried a few to no avail. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Was excited when I went to the link you listed above until I learned they only offer 13" versions :( Any of you have any idea where I can find a sleeve to fit over my 15" MBP with Speck cover? I've tried a few to no avail. Thanks in advance.

I got mine off the Apple site. Go to your Apple site then Store then in the side panel For your Mac/Bags and Cases This is what i got in the Australian store but there is many others.

Speck 15" SeeThru Case for MacBook Pro - Apple Store (Australia)

Reaction score
I've had a Speck clear case on my old MBP, which is now 7 years old and the case is spotless. I've heard stories of how they can overheat the MBP, although I can't say I've had this happen.

I've just got a retina MBP and also have a cover on this :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.