Power Mac G5 Ultra ATA/100 optical drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Primary iMac 3.4 GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16 GB Ram 2 TB HDD with 6TB Thunderbolt Lacie 2 Big Drive
My internal Superdrive died in my 2004 Power Mac Dual 2.0 GHz, I've already checked with the sales dept. at OWC and they can't help me. I wanted to upgrade the optical drive to a Lightscribe DVD burner, but I've hit the wall.

I'm thinking about using an adapter from my IDE Ultra ATA/100 connector on my Mother Board or is it Daughter Board? The adapter supposedly converts my IDE to SATA, so theoretically I could use a off the shelf DVD burner that supports LightScribe?????

StarTechcom IDE to SATA Adapter Converter by Office Depot

Here's the problem on my G5 I have 39 male pins and every adapter I've checked has 40 female pin slots. Will this be a problem?

Reaction score
My internal Superdrive died in my 2004 Power Mac Dual 2.0 GHz, I've already checked with the sales dept. at OWC and they can't help me. I wanted to upgrade the optical drive to a Lightscribe DVD burner, but I've hit the wall.

I'm thinking about using an adapter from my IDE Ultra ATA/100 connector on my Mother Board or is it Daughter Board? The adapter supposedly converts my IDE to SATA, so theoretically I could use a off the shelf DVD burner that supports LightScribe?????

StarTechcom IDE to SATA Adapter Converter by Office Depot

Here's the problem on my G5 I have 39 male pins and every adapter I've checked has 40 female pin slots. Will this be a problem?

If your not using you second HDD slot why don't you just run a SATA cable from it's port to the optical. If you are IMHO and SI PCI/PCIX SATA card would be a better option. Do the above and run your second drive from the SATA card. The added benefit is that you'll have 3 or so new SATA ports. You can put drives in front of the front fans.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C0Y5X4/?tag=macforums0e4-20

This is the one I use.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Primary iMac 3.4 GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16 GB Ram 2 TB HDD with 6TB Thunderbolt Lacie 2 Big Drive
Optical drive on G5 PowerPC

If your not using you second HDD slot why don't you just run a SATA cable from it's port to the optical. If you are IMHO and SI PCI/PCIX SATA card would be a better option. Do the above and run your second drive from the SATA card. The added benefit is that you'll have 3 or so new SATA ports. You can put drives in front of the front fans.

Amazon.com: Syba SATA II PCI-X 4 Ports Host Raid Controller Card: Electronics

This is the one I use.

Thank you for the reply and the link;) I am using the second SATA port for an additional HDD, LOL! I thought about that too. I had a good feeling there was someone that was in the same perdicament as myself. I like the option you suggested much better than my original thought, it looks like a better quality piece of equipment.

Thank you again for the link:)

Kind regards,

Frosty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.