Setting up a non-network capable usb printer through a Buffalo link station

Reaction score
So I can't remember how to do this but I do remember it being freakishly complicated. I managed to set it up about two years ago, but I just deleted the printer profile in an unfortunate accident.

I have a non-network capable HP printer connected via USB to a Buffalo LS-CHl network storage device which is in turn connected to a Netgear router. My Mac is on the wireless network, I have no idea now how to connect it through those devices to the HP. I remember using a custom printer profile and something about gutenburg print as well as a line print spoofer or something like that.

Please, please does anybody have any tips about how to do this or an online resource? I don't want to spend two days re-learning and I have a bunch of garbage to print for school.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had to do this some time ago with a printer that was not network capable and an Airport base station. I think this is what I did and your procedure should be similar.

1. Install the USB drivers for your printer with the printer directly connected to the Mac. For now, treat the printer as though you are going to use it directly connected to the Mac.

2. Without known the specific printer it's hard to know if you will need the Gutenprint drivers though since you remember using them it's a good bet you will.

3. Attach the printer to the Buffalo device following their procedure.

4. Once you connect the printer to the Buffalo device follow Buffalos suggestions for LPR setup if there are any. Make note of any IP numbers you are asked to used

5. On the Mac goto the Print and Fax preference pane and add a printer. Select to add based upon IP (third option from left I think).

A drop down will appear gibing you the option to use IP numbers, LPR, or HP Jet Direct. You may have to try each option but I suspect LPR will work since you remember doing that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Judging by your reaction it must have worked. If so glad I could help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.