iPhone dropped in toilet (I know, I know)

Reaction score
So somehow, I dropped my iPhone in the toilet. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. Fortunately the toilet was not in use. Anyway, I pulled it out, dried it, then let it sit in the sun. Then I thought of a blow dryer, so I used that to dry it. The screen was dark, and only had an apple on it. The back light was NOT working. So I ran it to the AT&T store quickly where the guy said I needed to take it to the Apple store. It is literally like 1 day before the 30 day warranty (so I was really hoping AT&T would just give me a new one.) So I went home (this was Sunday) and now it's Memorial Day and stores are closed. I plugged the phone into my computer and downloaded a 3 hour update for the iphone. This did nothing but did get rid of the iTunes screen (where it shows an iTunes logo and a plug). I looked online at all of the fix videos and forums and found out how to take the front panel off and then detach the 3 pins connecting it to the back panel. I used a blow dryer again and then connected the phone back together. The back light now worked! And then the phone seemed to be working a little, except the home button would not work. I could actually scroll through things. I then took it apart and tried to dry it again, but now when the phone is on the only thing I see is a white screen, and then it fades, finally to black. But the silent button works, and the ON button triggers the white screen to come on. Also, when I get a message or facebook notification, the screen turns white for a few seconds. So it seems to be receiving messages, I just can't view anything on the screen. It even lights up and makes the charge sound when I plug the charger in. And I'm thinking the home button is broken. Perhaps I need to clean the 3 pins/connecters?

Unfortunately the water indicator in the headphone jack is half red and the one near the charger input is also red, so I'm afraid they aren't going to replace my phone. The inside water marks are white, so that makes me think that the phone could still be functional.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Go in first thing in the morning to explain the situation. If they don't replace it, try letting the phone thoroughly air out for a few days. I knew someone who dropped their iPod touch in a pool and they immediately turned it off, opened it, and left it open for 3 days while it aired. Closed it back up, and it worked again! I was impressed as I thought it was a goner.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you buy Apple Care Plus for your iPhone? If you did, take it to an Apple store and they'll replace it for the $49.00 deductible. If you didn't buy Apple Care Plus, Apple will replace the iPhone but it will cost you much more.

Otherwise, you might want to try to fix it yourself. Go to the ifixit web site and learn how to take it apart and perhaps replace the digitizer and screen.

iFixit: The free repair manual

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I did not buy the Apple Care Plus. So I think I have to fix it myself.

Good news though... my phone seems to be working at times. Everything lights up and I can receive calls and do ALMOST everything. But, sometimes my phone is black, and I need to turn it on again. Also, the home button still does not work at all. So that is extremely annoying since I can't really exit the application that is in use.

Right now, I have the phone in 2 pieces, but the 3 ribbons are connected. I figured this would let the phone air out. Should I disconnect the 3 ribbon connectors too? Should I brush off the connectors? Any advice on the home button? I'm hoping that in time, but home button will just start working since the rest of the phone seems to be coming back to life with time. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So somehow, I dropped my iPhone in the toilet. I know, I know, I'm an idiot.

Well...for what it's worth...we've had another member who dropped their iPhone in the toilet 4-5 times. Apparently the 4th to 5th time is what it took to finally "kill" the iPhone.

So you're far from the "idiot record"!;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Hahaha... Well, I got lucky. I took the phone to the Apple store today (did NOT think they were open today) and he exchanged it for another phone! I saw him look into the headphone jack and the charge input where the water markers are CLEARLY red from the wetness. After he used his little flashlight, he asked, did this get wet? Of course I said no hahaha. Then he tried to reboot it and it didn't work. So then he took the sim card out and put it into a new phone. I have no phone numbers, but at least I have a new phone!! Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you were so "lucky", it might be a good time to pull out your credit card and buy Apple care plus. I bought Apple care plus for my iPad because I know if I drop it, and with my luck, it'll probably break in pieces..... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Since you were so "lucky", it might be a good time to pull out your credit card and buy Apple care plus. I bought Apple care plus for my iPad because I know if I drop it, and with my luck, it'll probably break in pieces..... ;P

Is that a "if i drop it" or "I will Drop it" Charlie ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.