Upgrade from 10.4.11 / keep Classic?

ssh

Reaction score
I am using system 10.4.11. This is the hybrid system which allows you to run system X and Classic also. I would like to upgrade my system to at least snow leopard, but still keep Classic.

I am running a Power Mac G5, and have three system 9 applications that are critical to my business.

Is it possible to upgrade just the system X part of the system, or will Classic simply disappear if I do?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You cannot upgrade that system to Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard requires a Mac with an Intel chip. According to Wikipedia you have the last OS that will run Classic. See also Apple quietly disposes of Classic in Leopard | Ars Technica

What apps are you needing to run in Classic? I loved the G5s but its been a while since they were in their prime. Perhaps there is an alternate program out there that would not require Classic.

Reaction score
How do you tell if you are running a hybrid system? I have an ibook G4 with Mac OSX 10.4.11 and need to run a program in classic. How should I go about doing this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I remember correctly there will be a preference pane in System Preferences. It has some settings for when and how it loads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.