iMac Graphics Card PLZ HELP

Reaction score
I recently purchased Diablo 3 and it only runs about 10-15 FPS on my iMac (Specs Below)

iMac (21.5 and 27-inch, Late 2009) - Technical Specifications

I've looked around on the web and to my knowledge you cannot change the graphics card on an iMac. I also looked to see if you could buy an external graphics card, and I didnt find anything promising there either. Which led me to the question, if it was possible to buy an external graphics card, that would be windows compatible, and use windows bootcamp to play Diablo 3?

I dont know much about computers and I dont want to buy a desktop computer just for gaming. Im a college student with a tight budget just trying to play video games. Please reply and help me out.
Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, there is not a high bandwidth external bus on that particular vintage of iMac.

Your best bet is going to be to knock the in-game screen resolution down and turn the graphics settings as low as possible to increase your frame rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
Rather than buy a desktop why not try your hand at building one? I did my first ever gaming rig build 4 days ago and it was far easier than I anticipated. You could easily build something that could run Diablo 3 for hundreds less than the price of a pre-built.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.