Networking my 2 MacMinis

Reaction score
I have a MacMini (Leopard), purchased two years ago and just bought a brand new Lion MacMini so that I can work on more than one project at a time. I've heard others talk about "networking" two Macs together years ago, and would love to do this.

Some questions:

1) Can this be done w/o an internet connection? (sadly, my router no longer works for 2 Macs; only my new MacMini can be connected directly to modem. Long story...)

2) Do both MacMinis need Lion for this to work?

3) If this is do-able under these conditions, can some kind Mac expert here please show me how to do this in steps?

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
1. Yes this can be done rather easily and without both computers needing an internet connection.
2. Although it is convenient for both machines to have the same OS since the settings will be in the same places it is not necessary.
3. If both Minis have Airport cards in them you might give these directions a try How to Create a Wireless Ad-Hoc Network between Macs - Video - For Dummies

You could also set up the same type of network using an ethernet cable. I'll see if I can dig up a good set of directions. Either way you will need to make any adjustments to file sharing as needed.

BTW once the network is up and running you should be able give internet access to the second computer by turning on Internet sharing on the computer connected to the modem.

OP
G
Reaction score
1. Yes this can be done rather easily and without both computers needing an internet connection.
2. Although it is convenient for both machines to have the same OS since the settings will be in the same places it is not necessary.
3. If both Minis have Airport cards in them you might give these directions a try How to Create a Wireless Ad-Hoc Network between Macs - Video - For Dummies

You could also set up the same type of network using an ethernet cable. I'll see if I can dig up a good set of directions. Either way you will need to make any adjustments to file sharing as needed.

BTW once the network is up and running you should be able give internet access to the second computer by turning on Internet sharing on the computer connected to the modem.

Wow, this is great! Thanks so much for this info.
I will be looking for your directions on the ethernet cable & will be acting on your suggestions soon.

btw: I would upgrade my older MacMini to Lion in a nano-second, but that would disable some old but extremely valuable Alien Skin P-shop filters that were discontinued some years back. I've looked everywhere I could on the internet, but can't find anything that come close. Glad to hear I will be able to do this with Leopard:).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is none set of directions for creating an ad hoc network. It was written with older versions of OS X in mind but I think you will get the idea. Ad hoc networking - Page 1 | Macworld

That article mentions use of a "crossover" cable or switch to make things work with some Macs. I don't think either will be necessary with the Minis. Because their ethernet ports auto sense when they are connecting to another Mac a regular ethernet cable should do the trick.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks again! Currently under the gun with some deadlines, but will be following the instructions you've laid out to accomplish all of this in the next few weeks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help. Let us know how it goes.

OP
G
Reaction score
Glad to help. Let us know how it goes.

It's not working at all.

I followed all of the instructions from the "Dummies" vid, but when I try to connect to my old Mac mini on my new one, I keep getting a "No network found" message. When I try to connect with my new Mac mini on my old one, I am getting a "network timeout" message on my "Enter the name of the network" window.

I also tried the "Ad hoc networking" instructions from Macworld using a Netgear 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch, but that didn't work either.

Thanks anyway for trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
It's not working at all.

Thanks anyway for trying.

Most likely you've missed a step or misunderstood something.

Be sure and tell us if you want to try again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.