Help! Recover overwritten Illustrator file

Reaction score
I accidentally didn't save changes to an Illustrator file (about two weeks ago) and I just realized it when I opened the document today. I desperately need the file that I didn't save. Is it possible to recover it somehow? I tried referring to Time Machine but it apparently isn't set up. And I tried downloading an Illustrator Recovery Toolbox but I couldn't find a download that worked with Mac (even though several downloads said they were for Mac). PLEASE HELP!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The changes to the file you "didn't save" do not exist because they disappeared when you shut down or rebooted your machine or exited Illustrator. They existed only in the Mac's memory while the Mac was turned on and while Illustrator was active. Sorry, but there is no way to recover those changes.

C

chas_m

Not that this will help or make you feel any better, but I would certainly use this opportunity to set up Time Machine so that you never have this awful experience happen ever again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Not that this will help or make you feel any better, but I would certainly use this opportunity to set up Time Machine so that you never have this awful experience happen ever again.

Even with Time Machine, they would have the same experience again. If you don't save the changes, Time Machine can't back them up. Time Machine does not backup memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.