"Problem connecting to the server Airport Extreme"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, but for some reason I'm a bit stumped right now. Here's the scenario:

I have an Airport extreme which is about 3 1/2 years old. Works great. Until recently, I've had a single external hard drive hooked up to the USB port in the back of it. Both my MBP and my wife's MBP were connecting to said external server for access to photos as well as music. The server's name for the sake of this discussion is "DB's AirPort Extreme".

2. A couple of weeks ago, I disconnected the external from the Airport Extreme, kind of forgetting about my wife and that she occasionally uses iPhoto. I did this because I moved my MBP to my desk (for a change) and hooked the external up directly. Unfortunately, my wife neglected to tell me that she was getting a pop up message fairly consistently. Here is the message:

screenshot20120527at101.png

3. A bit less than a week ago, I purchased another external HD and cloned the content from the server external, to the new external. The new one, has now taken the place of the old one. And I've also hooked up an USB hub to the AirPort Extreme, just so that I could connect a totally different external HD just for my wife. This totally different external has the same photo content as the other new external, but minus the music stuff. None of that matter though, I don't think, as her MBP connects to it flawlessly.

However, she's still getting that message, because obviously.. the MBP is still looking for that original external server. All I really want to do is tell the MBP that it is gone and not to look for it, or to point it to the replacement drive I hooked up for her. Oh, and perhaps a key in all of this is, the message ONLY pops up when looking for photos in iPhoto

Where the heck? I've looked in Keychain Access, and couldn't find that particular entry. I did see the APE with the same name but that's simply my default connection. I did delete it anyway, but that did nothing.

Can someone hook a poor schnook up here? :Oops:

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ah, I neglected to include important info: In iPhoto preferences, I do not have "copy to iPhoto library" checked. I simply want to reference the original files and nothing more. But I do not see a place in which you're able to point iPhoto to where the photos are stored, unlike Aperture or Lightroom etc..

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having mulled things over, I think the solution is to simply delete the photos from iPhoto and re-import them. Luckily there aren't too many (it's my wifes) because some of them have to be moved from the trash back to the new server external.

This should resolve the pop up issue.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.