Issues restarting MacBook pro after installing lion

Reaction score
I installed lion on my MacBook pro that was running 10.6.8 snow leopard, the install was going good until I had to restart my computer. It won't go past the gray apple screen with the black spinning thing. It's been 2 hours and still nothing. My laptop died (didn't realize it was unplugged) so I plugged it in and turned it back on, again I can't get past the gray screen. Is it supposed to take this long? Any help would be highly appreciated.

OP
L
Reaction score
I should also mention that I do not have the install disks that came with my MacBook pro. I got the laptop as a gift and my brother who gave me the laptop still has them in Florida and I now live in NY.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never attempt an install of a new operating system without first making a backup or at least having the recovery disk on hand. Go to your nearest Best Buy store and purchase a copy of Snow Leopard for $29.99 (if they have it in stock). Or go to the nearest Apple store and purchase it there. I don't where you are in NY but there are numerous Apple stores in NYC and on Long Island.

OP
L
Reaction score
Never attempt an install of a new operating system without first making a backup or at least having the recovery disk on hand. Go to your nearest Best Buy store and purchase a copy of Snow Leopard for $29.99 (if they have it in stock). Or go to the nearest Apple store and purchase it there. I don't where you are in NY but there are numerous Apple stores in NYC and on Long Island.

Is thee way? I'm absolutely broke. I mighg be able to have my brother mail me the install disk but I won't get it for at least a week and I need my laptop working sooner than that for school.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, let's try this instead:

Boot the machine into single user mode: Reboot and hold down the command and S keys. The machine should boot up to a black screen with white text. If you can get that far, do this: (This has been copied from the Apple KB)

Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.

At the command-line prompt type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type

reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.

Follow the above directions and let us know.

OP
L
Reaction score
I did that and it is still not going past the gray apple logo screen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did what? Were you able to get into single user mode? Were you then able to do the file system check? (/sbin/fsck -fy) If so, what did it say?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.