Trash won't empty

Reaction score
Hi, all,

I posted a problem about Time Machine not backing up my system, but I've found a different problem.

I have a MBP running Leopard 10.5.8. Unfortunately, I was one of the foolish folk who downloaded Mackeeper. In trying to delete it and all its parts, I discovered that somehow, a folder called "<My Name>'s MacBook Pro" wound up in my trash. It contains one file "2012-04-07-181115.inProgress". It's a package.

The icon for <My Name>'s MacBook Pro still exists at the top of my sidebar, but I cannot empty my trash. It tells me that several files are in use and cannot be deleted. They have names like "libsavapi3.dylib", "aevdf.so", "aescript.so", "aescn.so", "aesbx.so", etc. There are about 13 in all. When Trash gets to one called "AntiVirus" it tells me that the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. I presume these files are part of that inProgress file because they are not visible in Trash.

I tried moving the folder out of the trash and deleting everything else. I have to type my administrator password to move it, but it doesn't MOVE the folder, it COPIES the folder {minus the file inside} to my desktop. Now I have extra copies of it on my desktop. And I can't change the folder's name or anything.

Help, please! How do I fix this? Do I have to reformat the HD? Or will installing Snow Leopard take care of the problem?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give.

Micki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh the joys of antivirus software and Mackeeper. There are no Mac OS X viruses, but if one feels one must have AV software, and most of us here do not, download and use ClamXAV which is freeware.

Have you tried rebooting your MBP? Did you follow instructions for uninstalling Mackeeper?

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi, Harryb2448

First of all, thanks for replying so quickly.

I have been told by many different people that viruses do run on Macs--there just aren't a lot of them. About 2 months ago my MBP started acting weird: running slow, Safari unable to find sites and crashing, etc. A classmate found a keylogger on his mac and since we were working on a class project together and sharing files, I was concerned. Then my ISP e-mailed me saying that my computer was infected with a bot. I ran the script they said to run through Terminal, which said I didn't have the bot. But the computer was still acting weird. I ran Norton and ClamXAV, both of which found nothing. But the computer was still acting weird. I repaired permissions, which I do often, and nothing changed. That's when I downloaded MacKeeper. The computer seemed OK for a day or so, then started acting up again.

In researching the problem I saw all the negative stuff about Mackeeper and decided to uninstall it. I followed the instructions of Phil Stokes at how to uninstall MacKeeper « Phil Stokes except for the Time Machine part. {My Time Machine isn't working either.} I tried to empty the trash and it wouldn't empty. Then I found a folder named for my personal MacBook Pro. The icon is still in my sidebar, but I can't move, rename or do anything with this folder. {See above post.}

Following your advice, I tried to restart the Mac but it wouldn't boot. I got to my wallpaper and the little gear just kept spinning. So I shut it down and booted in safe mode and repaired my permissions. One difference was in iLife which I don't even have, and 9 were on Front Row which I've never even used. Seven SUID files were modified but not repaired.

Bottom line is, I'm posting this from my Windows computer.

I bought Snow Leopard to upgrade my OS. If I install it will all these problems go away? Or do I need to reformat the HD and then install? And if so, how do I format a Mac?

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Slight correction ~ there aren't none of them. Our Windows friends just cannot accept this which is why 'friends' tell you this. Just ask them for the details. Regarding your email are you using HotMail, GMail or similar which are fairly easily compromised?

First thing to do is change your password to something no one will crack, say 13 digits of both numerical and alphabetical form. Do not share the password with anyone.

Regarding Snow Leopard the best install is a clean install after formatting the hard drive. This will erase everything on it. And don't worry about those SUID things they can be safely ignored.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have two email accounts, one through my ISP using the Mail app. I use this for work, school and other important stuff. The other is a Yahoo account which I use for everything else.

However, I think I've got the problem licked. What I think happened was the trash wound up in the Time Machine volume on the Backup drive. I erased the Time Machine partition and repaired the other partition. It seems to be working. TM has backed up over 15 GB so far, which is farther than it ever got before. :-D

Thanks again for your help.

PS: Your puppy is adorable!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.