Time Machine backup fails

Reaction score
Hi, all,

I have a 17" MacBook Pro running 10.5.8 (Leopard?) My ISP e-mailed me and said I might have that bot, so I updated everything and ran the script in Terminal. It said I was OK. But I'm still having problems, so I bought a Seagate GoFlex 1 TB HD to back up my MBP. I'm pretty sure I formatted the drive as Mac OS Extended Journaled. I ran Time Machine but it wouldn't back up to the drive so I manually copied files to it.

I know Time Machine won't update manual backups, so I partitioned the drive and I KNOW I formatted it as Mac OS Extended Journaled. It still won't work. TM lets me choose the new volume, and it starts to back up. There are 149.5 GBs of data to back up but it only did about 2.4 GBs and then I got an error that says "Time Machine Error Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume." There are over 500 GBs of space on the partition.

Does anyone know why Time Machine won't back up my system?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/insight you can give.

Micki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Most likely a permissions issue.

Open the Console in /Applications/Utilities

Select the System log and search for backupd in the top right search box. This might give you more of an idea where it fails.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks. That was cool.

I think I've got the problem licked. What I think happened was the trash wound up in the Time Machine volume on the Backup drive. I erased the Time Machine partition and repaired the other partition. It seems to be working. TM has backed up over 15 GB so far, which is farther than it ever got before. :-D

Thanks again for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.