Restore from Time Machine: what will happen?

Reaction score
I've been using Wine to runs a windows app, and when i updated Xcode and Macports, Wine stopped working, so I tried to uninstall Wine, and think I made a bigg-a mistake-a.

I have no idea really about these things or what they do, I just followed a simple tutorial (Installing Wine on Mac OS X) to get things going, which was really easy, but now I think I've pushed my luck while fumbling in the dark.

I want to restore the arrangement of software to just before I started messing, but I'm worried I'll lose other information I've created since messing up, i.e. emails, documents etc.

I wish I'd just used Paragon or Virtual Box now as I think getting the more technical apps off my mac is going to be a head ache and I'm worried I'll goose other things I don't understand in the process

What will actually happen when I click restore?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I want to restore the arrangement of software to just before I started messing, but I'm worried I'll lose other information I've created since messing up, i.e. emails, documents etc.

How recent are your Time Machine backups? Keep in mind that you do not have to restore the entire contents of your hard drive but can select only what needs to be restored. I've done selective restores of individual files and folders from Time Machine numerous times.

OP
joinerbuilder
Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

The backups are regular. My issue is that, because it's to do with applications and not a simple folder of documents I'm not sure if it's as simple as just restoring the application folder.

I see what you mean about being able to pick and choose what it is I want to restore, but would this work with installed applications?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I see what you mean about being able to pick and choose what it is I want to restore, but would this work with installed applications?

I don't see why not? I once replaced iTunes and the entire library that I accidentally removed. Yes, even seasoned Mac users do dumb things sometimes. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.