onyx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)
Just a bit ove a year into my MBP and so far very happy that I switched. I have a few small things I'd like some advice on.

1. I use onyx every few months to repair permissions and have had no problems with it at all. I see that there is a "clean" option and when I look into it there a a lot of options for cleaning caches. I would like to take advantage of these options but am afraid that I will erase something that I want to keep (like password retention etc). Can anyone advise me on what is safe to clean out and what I should not be messing with.

2. When I try to view downloaded pictures it opens in silverlight. Out of 25 tries 5 times it says that "the picture is not available" (or something to that extent) with an X on a black screen. Another 5 times it just shows a black screen and nothing else happens. In either case when I reload the page in Safari it almost always shows the picture properly. Why??? Is there an acdsee program that will work in osx?

3. I use a magic mouse. I like it but there are times that just holding it makes the screen scroll up or down . I am NOT moving the mouse or moving my hand in any way but the screen still will scroll. It will occasionally do that just sitting there without anything touching it. Bad mouse?? Static electricity?? Beats me....but if this has a cure please let me know.

MBP bought new in feb 2011. osx ver. 10.6.8, 2.4 core 2 duo, 4 G ram

That's about it. As I said I am very happy with the MBP and do not want to return to the bad old days! But any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
2. By downloaded pictures, I presume that you mean ones that you downloaded onto your computer. You can change what opens them by highlighting a random picture (You will have to do this for all image types eg. .jpg, .png), hitting command + I and then choosing Open With: Preview. If you have a different image program you wish to use, select that. Click on Change All and you are sorted.

Sorry, cant help with the others. If you still have warranty on the Magic Mouse and are able to invoke the scrolling yourself (Or at least it is frequent enough that the Apple people can see it occurring), you might just be able to get a solution from them/replacement.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. I use onyx every few months to repair permissions and have had no problems with it at all. I see that there is a "clean" option and when I look into it there a a lot of options for cleaning caches. I would like to take advantage of these options but am afraid that I will erase something that I want to keep (like password retention etc). Can anyone advise me on what is safe to clean out and what I should not be messing with.

If you don't know what is safe to clean, I recommend just using the 'Automation' tab. Nothing in that tab will remove anything of consequence. But, do be aware that you don't want to run Onyx too often as those caches are there for a reason. Once or twice a year should be fine - or as needed if you notice the machine slowing down.

2. When I try to view downloaded pictures it opens in silverlight. Out of 25 tries 5 times it says that "the picture is not available" (or something to that extent) with an X on a black screen. Another 5 times it just shows a black screen and nothing else happens.

That's interesting as Silverlight isn't a picture viewer - it's basically Microsoft's answer to Adobe Flash. I would say your file type associations are incorrect. Do you notice it on a particular type of file (i.e. .jpg, .png, etc?). It might just be a case of flipping it to the correct viewer.

In either case when I reload the page in Safari it almost always shows the picture properly. Why??? Is there an acdsee program that will work in osx?

Yes, ACDSee is now available for Mac, but I think I'm missing something here.... ACDSee is used, generally, for viewing and manipulating images in a directory, not on the web. And yet, it seems like this issue is happening in Safari? Can you clarify?

3. I use a magic mouse. I like it but there are times that just holding it makes the screen scroll up or down . I am NOT moving the mouse or moving my hand in any way but the screen still will scroll. It will occasionally do that just sitting there without anything touching it. Bad mouse?? Static electricity?? Beats me....but if this has a cure please let me know.

Well, just about the entire top of the mouse is touch sensitive. So, it could just be that you're brushing your fingers across the top inadvertently. Hard to say without standing over your shoulder while it's occurring.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help. I mis-spoke about the silverlight. The pictures I have on my HD are opened with preview and that works fine. It is when I try to view a pic in my e-mail that I have the problem.

Changed the batteries and the same thing happens on the magic mouse. Maybe it is just that I am moving my hand slightly on the surface and not realizing it.

On onyx...I have never yet run any cleaning part of it, just the section to correct permissions. Thanks for the tip on the "automation" tab. I'll try it.

C

chas_m

Here's a picture of my OnyX "Automate" setup. This is the only way I ever use the program.

screenshot20111014at946.png

2. When I try to view downloaded pictures it opens in silverlight. Out of 25 tries 5 times it says that "the picture is not available" (or something to that extent) with an X on a black screen. Another 5 times it just shows a black screen and nothing else happens. In either case when I reload the page in Safari it almost always shows the picture properly. Why???

Because you have for some strange reason associated JPG files with Silverlight. Find a JPG file, Get Info (command-i) on it, change the association to Preview, "Change All" and done.

Is there an acdsee program that will work in osx?

There is. There's also iPhoto already on your Mac, but if you want to use ACDSee it's available to purchase. To just quickly view a photo, you can (once you've changed the association) double-click it to bring up Preview, or just select it (or a group of pictures) and press the spacebar.

3. I use a magic mouse. I like it but there are times that just holding it makes the screen scroll up or down .

Very unlikely. You probably have wandering finger and are not conscious of moving your finger across it (I discovered I could zoom in by just double-tapping [NOT clicking] the mouse, and wasn't aware that I was doing that while reading). You can adjust the sensitivity of the mouse in System Preferences.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas m....Thanks that was what I was looking for. I will try those settings on onyx the next time I use it. Also for the other info. Thanks for the time you spend here helping the rest of us !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.