iTunes syncing of books dilemma :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I am going to in the future get my Helo PPL and have acquired some books from the iTunes store. I have had one get sent to my iP4s but want to try and sync the other one to it to read. Screen shots to follow. My dilemma is the one i want won't show up in my iPhone syncing window.

I want the How Helicopters Fly book but it wasn't sent to iP4s and its not in the sync window :(

20120527-mnaq374enug96qmts9f1k483te.jpg

20120527-esn6w7ej4i2pd3fw6gbc1t92mu.jpg

Any ideas as to why i can't get this to show in the sync window ??

Lion 10.7.3 Up to date iTunes and IOS 5.1.1. on iP4s

Cheers

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Bump

Anyone seen this at all ?? Im at a loss and can't find anything searching the www

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Morning.
Coffee hasn't kicked in yet so a little slow on this end.

Off hand I'd try two things.
1) First, check Sync All Books instead of Selected Books
2) Try downloading from iCloud (go to iBooks Store on your iPhone and click on Purchased. Book should show as available)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Mike. Trying it now. I went to iBooks on phone and purchased and it dint show up, so going through iTunes now to try the All books way. Taking a while as i ripped a lot of music today so syncing a feww hundred songs. Will report back, but not liking my chances. Both the books where free so I'm not sure whats going on.

Late here and should of realised looking at the bottom image the book doesn't even show up there for it to be selected to sync :(

Back to google as i don't have a way to even view them on my MBP ?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Free book should mean no DRM so you should be able to drag it from iTunes to your desktop and then use Calibre to sync it to Stanza or MegaReader. For that matter you can upload DRM free to your Kindle APP also.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Free book should mean no DRM so you should be able to drag it from iTunes to your desktop and then use Calibre to sync it to Stanza or MegaReader. For that matter you can upload DRM free to your Kindle APP also.

Ahhh this i might try. Have the Kindle App. Just had a look and they have a 'cloud' as well so ill look at registering and getting it to the cloud some how and ill get back to you.

Thanks mate given me another avenue anyways ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I remember right you won't need cloud to sync books to Kindle.

Sync your iPhone by USB, tab to APPs screen on Sync Panel and scroll down. kindle should show in list of APPs to sync content to.
Drag and drop the book and should be good to go.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dragged to desktop and is in .ibooks format then to the Kindle Documents sync window, synced and no joy. Downloading Calibre now so i might be able to change the format to Kindle friendly format then ill try again. In the mean time i have used the cloud and am emailing it there now. Slow upload speeds for a 50mb book so taking a while.

Just for a free book lol

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kindle is AZW (MobiPocket format) and iBooks is ePub (I think).

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting way late here. Cant go on further tonight. Cant email, can't change format in Calibre, can't drag to Doc Sync in Kindle, can't drag it to Kindle App on Mac. Over it tonight but appreciate your help mate. Will look at Stanza tomorrow after a couple of coffee's. Im bushed, done and going to get some shut eye.

Thanks again mate.

Oh Show Info shows it as a Purchased Book so should be DRM free. Don't know why all the troubles :(

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a good night.

EDIT: Just looked and it is still available for free from iBook Store. Why not just do a direct download to your iPhone, or did I miss something (very probable)?

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a good night.

EDIT: Just looked and it is still available for free from iBook Store. Why not just do a direct download to your iPhone, or did I miss something (very probable)?

Im going to give up bc this has has taken away from some reading time lol

Mate looked in iBooks store and i can't find it there, or more so to didn't come up in my search. Appreciate the help and to top it off i can't seem to find a valid link/mirror to dl Stanza either ?? Confused/frustrated so time to give up for a while.
It really has me stumped as to why its not freely available. not sure to be honest.

All good not going to loose sleep over it apart from last night lol

Cheers mate

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Must be because different country . . . The book is in the US iBook Store, but I've seen that happen before. Saw a title I really wanted but it was in the Canadian Amazon store and wasn't available for sale in the US.

BTW MegaReader is a replacement for Stanza . . . works great.
http://www.megareader.net/

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW Champion effort mate and very much appreciated. Quite a big PDF so will dl tomorrow when im back around broadband. Saves all problems, but still like the look of MaegReader where you can now read on the run with the camera being used to show whats in front of you while the text is still on the screen. Awesome feature and has sold me.

Thanks again mate :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are welcome!

BTW found out a lot of your problem before is the book is DRM even though it's free. Who woulda guessed. :p

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Virtual Rep coming your way.
Yea who would have known as the research i did on DRM/iTunes bought back a whole lot of people believing it wasnt chained down with DRM. Looks like a lot of people getting a bum steer. Thanks again and now have it for my theory reading.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.